Hexanon 40mm f 1.8 - focus ring feel?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Spaceghost33, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    I finally picked up a legacy Konica Hexanon 40mm f 1.8 lens. Not having any experience with Hexanon lenses, can anyone comment on focus ring feel of these? Mine seems a bit stiff while rotating. It's not terrible, but it isn't a smooth as my Zuiko lenses.

I know "feel" is subjective, just looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance.
  2. petronius

petronius Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2011
    I own two 40mm Hexanons and the focus ring needs different force. One is quite stiff the other much more loose. My Zuikos are much smoother too.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    It may also be just natural stiffness from an older lens? I've used several Hexanons and some were smoother/stiffer than others, although I do think that none of them turned quite as smoothly as my Takumar.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Mine is pretty stiff but smooth.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Schoolboy snigger :biggrin:
  6. Hexanon Lenses

I have the Hex 1.8/40 and the 1.8/50. The 40 is a useful length and the focus ring is OK, though it is a half turn lock-to-lock and that makes focusing difficult. The 50 is kind of sticky and has the same short throw - it's impossible to use. (And available on eBay, if you want it.) I also have Pentax 1.4/50 - it is lovely. Very smooth focus with about a 3/4 turn focus that makes focusing easy.

To bad Pentax never made a cheap, fast 40mm!
  7. Layer-cake

Layer-cake Mu-43 Rookie

ahoy there, have gone through three of these lenses to find a decent one but all three had stiff focus rings, two only the main helix was stiff but the one I kept both helixes were stiff. they are rather easy to disassemble and fix, there are two helixes. the main focus ring and the one attached to the focus ring on the hood that is held in place by three screws( be careful when taking off the one attached to the focus ring as it will be almost impossible to position correctly if you don't document down the amount of revolutions you have turned it and mark the point it comes off properly).

it's a decent lens and its rather small but as soon as you have to add an adaptor, size really goes out the window....
  8. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    I have a 50mm f1.7 and don't find it particularly difficult to focus with.

The focus ring does have some resistance to it, but I actually kind of like that. I find it easier to dial things in that way.