1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Here you go...E-M5 Mark II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Feb 5, 2015.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
  2. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
  3. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, I think it's a daring move by them. Especially given the price of the A7, X-E2, etc...I've been reading all the info I can get on it and...yeah, great camera...but not my camera. At least not anytime soon. ;)

5. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Feature/performance wise how does the A7/X-E2/etc compare?

6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's an excellent question.

Performance, as far as I'm concerned (ie: real-world performance), is just about equal on all three. Features...Oly's IBIS is a huge one for me, though all of Sony's lenses have OSS, so if you're not going legacy, might as well call it even. Lenses? M4/3 wins by a mile and a half. Price, on the other hand, is handily in the Fuji's corner, as it costs just a little over HALF of what the II is going for.

The problem for Olympus is that I'm not the average consumer. The average consumer tends to care about megapixels and big sensors, not lens choices. Look around...most people with mirrorless/DSLRs are shooting kit lenses. Ask them what the aperture range of their lens is, and they'll have nothing to say. Ask them how many megapixels their camera is and a lot more of them will throw a number at you, be beaming with pride.

Especially looking at the samples dpreview is posting, the quality is superb (as it has been since the E-M5). I've converted a good few of my friends to M4/3 and will continue to do so. The problem is, I'm not the one selling cameras. People who spit out sensor sizes and megapixel counts in big box stores are the ones selling them...

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'd take them with a grain of salt... somehow despite having the same sensor the E-M5 Mk1 looks better than the E-P5 and E-M10. How did they ensure their test was exactly the same?

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

For some reason this release makes me really pleased, not to get a Mk2 but to hope that E-M1 prices drop as a result. If the v3.0 firmware for improved C-AF looks good, I must just upgrade to an E-M1 for my primary body :-D

• Like Like x 1
  10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Right??!! I saw that too...very confusing...something is definitely up.

Haha...this release makes me pleased too...I still love my E-M5, it's been my trusty travel partner all over the world and will continue to be! :D The improvements aren't worth $1,100 to me...heck for that much money I could get a GoPro 3+, a 60 macro and a PL25 around here...all of those would add more to my photography than the II. :D

However...if my camera ever dies, it'll be replaced by an E-M5 II...unless it lives to see the E-M5 Mark XXIV... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Good question, though with Sony it makes more sense if you're sticking solely with Sony's lens selection, especially for the OSS, with Oly's IBIS, every lens is IS'd. I use a mix of adapted and native lens so would prefer the option in-body, especially since the one on my current E-M5 worked very well with the adapted Pentax-M 50/1.4 or the Rokinon 85/1.4, but even more so with the native 45/1.8 even bouncing around in a car.

At least the Sony and Fuji has a larger sensor size last I checked, but I am wondering more or less if the IQ is comparable when using lens of roughly equal price.

I'm not a huge fan of Sony (As a brand, despite they are in just about every other brand out there), and Fuji still seems somewhat alien to me, even though I've wanted their mirrorless when they came out with one that looked very much like my film rangefinders, but lens options didn't seem that large (seemed best if you were going to have maybe 2 or 3 native lens).

Even years ago, I never really focused on megapixels because in the past I've always figured super high megapixels also meant more chance of noise, artifacts, heat, etc. Course sensor technology keeps changing and adjusting and improving. General consumers will rarely ever print higher than 8x10 and for that, most of the cameras on the market above 10MP are more than sufficient (hell, 4~6 if uncropped isn't really noticeable by consumers when printing to 4x6 and 8x10).

I'm mainly looking at the features like the IBIS, weather sealing, touchscreen and the extent of adaptability. Also I've been a huge fan of the old Olympus Pen-FT, and had some attraction to the OM system (but never used them personally as I Was more into the rangefinders or the Pen-FT), so in a sense it's a bit of nostalgia.

Also your comment bout kit lens is quite true... even in a Photography class on campus. In my current class, I am the only one in there with lens f/2.8 or faster. When I switched to Olympus from Pentax I made sure to get the 17/2.8 bundle for the E-P3 I wasn't going to deal with slow zooms. Yet every 'aspiring' photographer in the class has lens of no faster than f/3.5 or f/4 on the wide end of their zooms, and a couple have the predictable 70-300 for whichever brand they picked (90% being either a Canon or Nikon DSLR, and the professor had no clue about mirrorless cameras, let alone knowing that they were interchangeable lens systems).

I wasn't really expecting much change in the IQ on the E-M5 except maybe an improved digital processor for the jpegs and such, and was more curious about how exactly the 40MP mode would work. Was more interested in the body functionality, and how it handles. etc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    ... how odd, the EM-5 Mk2 samples as I move around is just about softer in either Jpg or Raw compared to just about every other camera including the E-M5 Mk1.

Enough so that I'm thinking it's a fluke.

• Like Like x 1
  13. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    The review on camerastore TV was quiet positive. The guy claimed an almost 1 stop improvement in low light compared to the e-m5. If that were true it would put it in the same league as the A6000/D5300, and I'd put a pre-order in now :) But looking at those dpreview samples it does look like it comes in somewhere between the E-M5 and E-M1 to my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wjiang

Was that down to improved IBIS/JPEG processing maybe? I doubt they can just get a magically improved sensor from somewhere, it will either be a Panasonic sensor (which we'll have seen in the GH4 for sure) or from Sony.

15. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
  16. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Just a subjective evaluation. He didn't take the same pictures with the E-M5, so it wasn't a controlled test.

17. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    The 40MP images are incredible. Not even for the resolution. But the color. It's the closest thing we'll get to Foveon.

Seriously, just look at the 40MP images in Robin Wong's Review: http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2015/02/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii-review.html

Then Imaging resource has great comparisons vs a D810 and A74... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m5-ii/olympus-e-m5-iiA.HTM#HRMODE

It's not even the sharpness that's most impressive, it's the color realism on JPEGs.... This will make me want to shoot landscapes more. Just imagine the 40-64MP prints! Hehe. But still, as suggested in DPR, I also hope Olympus is able to implement a 4-shot 16MP mode simply for the improved color reproduction.

The Camera Store's ISO tests were JPEG tests, which is fine for many users; that MKIIISO 6400 jpegs beat the MKI's 6400 jpegs by about a stop isn't surprising. RAW should be similar throughout the OMD range, although sometimes noise tests don't tell the full story. E-M1 files are more malleable than E-M5 MKI ones in my experience, despite very similar sensor's.

That's another area where the MKII has an advantage though. ISO 1600 40MP shots on the MKII are very comparable to ISO 1600 shots on the Nikon D810. Now that's crazy.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm impressed! Great job Olympus! I like this better than the Sony A7 II!

19. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Wow, those 40MP images are great!

20. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Though the big thing that has come up was the duration it takes to take the pictures at that mode, which in that article is explained as 2 seconds long, and can take longer if the base shutter speed is longer. This rules out the ability to use speedlights/strobes/etc for it as only continuous lighting (and one that doesn't flicker or change from second to second at that) will be ideal for the 40MP mode. It also means doing so outdoors (wind/weather/etc), or in any situation involving motion could be an issue (... or a 'neat trick' depending on how it forms the final image).

Based on the way he said it ( " 8 separate photographs are taken in a span of about 2 seconds (could be longer if you use slower shutter speed) and then all the images are merged into one, singular, high resolution 40MP image. "), I'm assuming that the 2 seconds is the actual time it takes from the first exposure to the last exposure, not counting the post-processing time after the last exposure.