Here is my problem...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I have been using my epl-2 with the 14-42 II lens for about 1.5 years. I really like this camera. Have done some large canvas prints with it, 20x30's and they are very nice. I use it for the most part as a backpacking camera and do panno's with it. Looking at doing some 20x60 canvas prints from panno's.

My problem is, could I do better with a body upgrade or would a better lens work? I have trouble with noise in dark areas but other than that, things look good even at 20x30 size, so not sure if anything will help other than an updated body.

2. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Some different post-processing techniques or plugins may help more than either a body or lens. Could you provide some crops of images that exhibit the problem?
  3. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    I would definitely go for a new lens before I upgraded from the E-PL2. It sounds like you're pretty happy with the IQ from the E-PL2 so the other primary reason for upgrading the body would be AF speed, but you're not complaining about that, either.

I think you would expand your photographic capabilities much more by investing in more glass. The question is what direction do you want to go? Wide angle? Fast Prime? Telephoto?
  4. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Noise in the dark points to a better sensor/camera, as that would be the weak link in that chain. That said, noise removal in post?

But yeah, I used to be all lens is always the better upgrade, but the last couple of years, I wouldn't say that. If your camera/sensor can't capture the latitude of the scene, a new lens will not fix that. So you have to look at the whole system and decide what is the weak link, is it the camera, lens, or yourself.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    first thing that came to mind.
  6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    If it's noise issues I'd bet dollars to doughnuts a sensor improvement would be the way to go, personally. It's possible that shooting at lower ISO might help also, in which event a faster lens might also make a difference too.

The sensor tech in terms of high ISO noise reduction has improved quite a lot in the latest iterations of m4/3 bodies. My old GF2 12MP sensor and the GX1 16MP sensor are night and day when it comes to higher ISO performance. The GF2 was especially prone to ugly noise in dark areas above ISO 800 and I can go 1-2 stops further with the GX1 happily.
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Exposed, assuming you want to stick with Olympus I would think that the soon to be announced E-PM2 or E-PL5 would be interesting upgrades for you. They both seem to be getting the E-M5 sensor, which will definitely cut down on the noise you are dealing with.

If you want to consider Panasonic then the GX1 or G5 are a good lower noise options, but I don't know that you want to give up the Olympus colors on those beautiful mountain shots you are taking.
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I must say that you've done some fantastic work with the 14-42! :cool:
  9. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you RT, I try!!

I just read about the new pens coming out and I may just wait and see what they are like. I lust for the 12mm f2 as I love the wide look. If I could afford the 12mm and if either olympus or panasonic would/could make a lens, like a 50-200 or something like that, 2.8 lens, I would work to have that also.

I will upload a photo I took this year that shows what I am talking about soon.

10. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Here is one of the photos I was talking about:

Thank you everyone for the help.

11. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Do you use a tripod most of the time or mainly shoot handheld? Seems a lightweight tripod or gorilla pod along with a low ISO would be one option. but if that is too time consuming or not realistic in your hiking the sensor might be the ticket.
  12. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    In my opinion the best upgrade path is the following:

First upgrade the photographer. Improve your vision, your technique, your shooting discipline.

Then upgrade your lenses, but do not buy lenses to meet every eventuality. Look at your pictures and look at the focal lengths of your favorites. Start with improving those lenses first.

At last upgrade your camera. Of course, a camera has to be good enough for what you are doing, but as soon as a camera is good enough for that, upgrading the photographer and the lenses is much more efficient.

I am shooting with an E-PL1 and I have gone that upgrade path. I have improved my discipline and I use the best manual focus lenses I own, which are much better than the native lenses I own. I realized that I love shooting with a normal lens very much and therefore I will buy the Leica 25mm to replace my Canon FD 2.4/24mm, which is a fine lens, but not fast enough for some kind of shots I love to take.

I will eventually upgrade my E-PL1, too, but not because it is a bad camera - it isn't -, but because I want a more professional handling and an articulated screen. I expect the GH3 to be good enough to complement my E-PL1, which I will continue to use on my hiking tours.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I have had an E-pl2 for a year now, and an E-P1 for over 2. That shot far exceeds the dynamic range of the camera. Not sure how many cameras honestly can get that shot. Our brains can evaluate a much higher dynamic range than a Camera. In a shot like this, one either has to blow out the sun to get the scenery, or put the scenery in shadow to get the sun.

A similar shot of mine from the E-P1. The OMD EM-5 might give better results with less noise in the shadows, but I still think the overall scene exceeds the dynamic range of the camera. Bracketing and then doing HDR is probably the best way to go.

14. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Yes, I do use a tripod, a zipshot that has been a great tripod for the epl-2.

I think you are correct, I need to learn PP a bit better and understand the limits of the camera. This photo I posted was shot handheld, on the run. Not the best one, but gave you the idea as to what I was running into.

I try to shoot most of these at 5.6 or 8 if possible, and the IBS turned off.

Again, thank you for the insight, I just need to get out and do more shooting and tame this.