1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Henri Cartier-Bresson @ MOMA/NYC 4/11-6/28/2010

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BBW, Jan 28, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I heard about this on the radio recently and, although it is not quite even February, it's good to have something to look forward to. If tickets are required for some parts of the exhibition, they'll go fast I'd think.

Here are two links for more info and reading, if you're interested: from Magnum's events section: http://events.magnumphotos.com/events and MOMA's site: http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/968

If you're in NYC or can be there are also some other very interesting photography exhibits coming up...and Magnum's site also lists events happening elsewhere, too.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm actually going with a group of shooters. Then it'll be off to the streets to get mugged and our cameras stolen...
    After all, they have to learn the risks.....

Maybe we can get some members from here and meet up.
    You game?
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  3. matmcdermott

matmcdermott Mu-43 Regular

I can't imagine that, it being MoMA, viewing HCB's generally smallish print sizes will be at all fun. A sea of people with audio guides to their ears. Probably best to go on a weekday morning...

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, it's an experience that many will never get to do. So I will do my best to get a group up there.
    Myself, I'd rather see the images in the book.

5. BBW

Mat, if you are correct that will be very unfortunate. I hope you're wrong...but ?

Don, promise to let me know when you're planning a pilgrimage, OK? I'd love to have the chance to meet up with you and your shooters...though I may pass on the muggings. Really I'm sure you'll be safe - haven't you heard thee word on crime in NYC? But I do understand about the up close and individual view of photos in a high quality book form.

I will add that I think a number of people would enjoy an opportunity to meet up in various geographic locations. Perhaps there's a possibility of that in different regions of the globe?

P.S. Absolutely a visit must be on a weekday and preferably morning!

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    BB,
    Just kidding about the NYC thing. I cut my chops on the streets up there for years late 60's early 70's. There ain't a crack in a sidewalk I haven't seen.
    I only get there 5 or 6 xs a year anymore.

I have some sessions around that time and I'll try to plug NY for the shoots.
    Worse case, I'll be there by myself.....
    Hmmmm, might just be the best case...

7. BBW

I figured as such and I'm looking forward to your most likely visit.

8. matmcdermott

It is indeed exciting to see an original Cartier-Bresson print. I remember the first time I saw the one of Giacometti crossing the street in the rain. It was so small, maybe an 8x10.

I just know what the show a couple years back at International Center of Photography was like, then magnify by the always-on crowd factor at MoMA. The space is great though (as is, surprisingly, the café), but often I come away from viewing photos there thinking I'd rather have the book and view them on my couch, at my leisure.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bring Hubby along and Lunch is on me.
    The group I have is not students. They are all very experienced shooters that want to find their way to fine art. I help them on a personal journey. It's really rewarding to see the results. Problem is, they all make tons more $$$ than me...go figure...

I could get them started on the street around 0600. Then after an hour set them free and then we from here could meet up.
    I'd love to meet Cosinaphile too...
    There's a great guy.

10. BBW

I hear you Mat and understand...but if I can combine this with meeting up with a couple of you all, then it would be even better.

I have been to the Metropolitan for certain shows that were very crowded and I don't like that experience either, but hope springs eternal!

11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You got that right. I was lucky. I have friends that are curators at different museums. So when a show comes in, I usually can see it before it's open.
    But still, now in my old age...,right, Books are the biggest turn on for me...

By the way Mat...if we do a meet up, are you in?

12. matmcdermott

Won't be in NYC at the start of the show but otherwise, sure thing.

13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Henri Cartier-Bresson Exhibit at MOMA NYC

Coming shortly to New York City Museum of Modern Art
    Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century
    April 11–June 28, 2010
    The International Council of The Museum of Modern Art Exhibition Gallery, sixth floor
    There is a gallery talk on April 15th I would love to attend but it is sold out.

artwork_images_168763_280338_henri-cartier-bresson.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Thanks BB for merging this, I didn't see it (or search).
    I visited the Fondation Henri Cartier Bresson in Paris several years ago.
    Here is a photo of his early camera and a young HCB photo.

4500173216_52c105e120_o.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    shooter , i have a day job, but im sure a hookup is possible i plan on going in mid may sometime when the first crowds subside a bit

give me a holler..when your in ny

cheers

16. BBW

How about if we keep this thread about the upcoming Cartier-Bresson at MOMA exhibit.:wink:

17. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Maybe we can move the get hassled taking photos part to another thread as I'm sure it has happened to many in some way?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Anyway, I'd like to do a Saturday in mid May.
    Could we do a meet up?
    The show is not a concern to me. The meet up is.
    Let's get a head count and choose some dates.
    Post to this to get it started...

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Moved here.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    When are you guys going??? I want in...