1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Helping out a novice!

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by saeveritt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    I've just recently started getting into photography (8 days ago) and need alot of advice and criticism!
    Is there anything that this picture is lacking?
    I am mainly using the Manual settings and adjusting the aperature and shutterspeed till I find a decent combination. I wanted the water to mistified a little bit, but barely accomplished that. So any advice is welcome and much appreciated!

Pen E-PL 1, 14-42mm
    Starting off in my backyard.
    [​IMG]

Edit* I also did a little bit of tampering in photoshop such as selective coloring, curves, and a B&W Gradient map set to hardlight and 29% Opacity.

Added two more backyard pictures. C&C is much appreciated.
    View attachment 145888

View attachment 145889

2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The photograph is in focus, and correctly exposed. So I think you have the mechanics of making the exposure down. For the water, you need to be closer. Stop the lens down all the way, and hold very steady. You need about a 1second exposure to really get the flow of the water.

F22, 1-Second, braced against a Rock.

Nikon F2 with 43~86 Zoom.

[​IMG]

(EDIT: This picture was taken in 1978, I was a little older than the OP at the time, 20yo)

3. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Thanks for the feedback Brian.:2thumbs: I'll have a go at the longer exposure time and post it up.

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Congratulations on jumping into this fascinating hobby! I'd like to strongly suggest you take some basic photography classes, to include some in the principles of composition, to get you started on the right road to successful photos. I thought I could learn a lot from reading stuff on the web, but once I took the class it was night and day difference between my photos before and after.

5. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Brian- That is the exact look I am going for, it looks great!

Photosmart42- Thanks for the advice, I will look into registering for some classes!

6. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Well, if you learned that in eight days I'll be happy to attend a PP seminar by you, maybe this fall or so? I have problems handling simple layers after years of intermittent training.

But I vote for more than 1 second.

Jonas

7. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Hahah thank you. Well I have only been doing photography for 8 days now, Photoshop on the other hand is around 7 years. Being that I am only 18, that's a large portion of my life!

Here are two other pictures from my backyard taken today.
    *Edited in first post

8. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    The other way to get water shots- My daughter has long hair, can "project streams of water at will".

View attachment 145895

Nikon S2 (rangefinder), 1/500th, 1950s Nokton 50/1.5 at F4. Prefocus, and shoot quickly.

9. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Man that shot is awsome! I am hoping to become more familiar with photography in order to grab some great shots on my European trip this summer. I am leaving in about 16 days and hope to cram as much information as I possibly can.

10. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    In that case- I'm going to suggest something "old-fashioned". Head to a book store, even a used-book store and pick up some books on photography. Kodak made a series of photography books in association with time/life. Lots of good ideas and "how-to" sections.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    OK, I feel better reading that...
    I hope you'll have the time to learning the camera controls before leaving and wish you a nice trip! From there it is practicing and learning from others. Not from me though, I'm mediocre at this but keep on because of the fun.
    One thing maybe, slightly off topic; You'll soon have a lot of images. Most of them bad, but also some jewels. It is a good idea to think of some sort of DAM along with a back-up system. The sooner the better.
    regards,

Jonas

12. saeveritt

saeveritt Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2010
    Southern Texas
    Thanks for the information and heads-up fellas!
    I'll head to the bookstore tomorrow morning and see what I can find.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.