Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Crdome, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Does SDCX require USB 3 to read? I'm on a visited Mac with USB 2 and am unable to read my SDCX. I read it using USD 3 Port at home without problem. Thanks for info.

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    With a card reader, some of the old ones won't read the newer cards. Not sure it has anything to. Do with USB2 vs USB3.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    I think so too, and even if it did the card would be read at slower speed anyway. Generic USB cable was only a few bucks & grab it when I think may be needed. Original usb cable is connected to my desktop pc port in back with camera end on desk.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Sometimes I've got issues using a card reader and a mac- and I've found that if I unplug/replug the card reader, then insert the card again, sometimes that does the trick. As mentioned, the best is using the USB cable connected to your camera, but also depending on the mac it may have a built in card reader?

With that said I have used a few card readers with my mac that simply didn't recognize cards. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason- its just some cards worked just fine and other did not. The reader I've had for about the last 2 years has worked well, even from my transition from USB 2 to USB 3 (albeit still transferring at the lower speeds), and the few times I couldn't get the card to read I just did as mentioned above and it appears to sort itself out.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Robert, Jeff, and Chris -Thanks for your replies. I thought I might have read somewhere there that SDCX cards required USB 3. With this Macs USB2 port I'm miss/miss/miss - 2 cards/2 readers/3 ports. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home again.

Again, thanks.
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    USB3 is not a requirement, in general, for a reader to read SDXC cards. I use a Lexar USB3-compatible reader on a USB2-only PowerMac and have had no difficulty. It is possible that there is some reader out there that fails to read SDXC cards when it is forced for fall back from USB3 to USB2, but I've never heard of one.

SDXC cards can only be read in readers designed specifically for the newer SDXC format parameters. Readers designed for only SD cards or only a mix of SD and SDHC cards can't read the SDXC format. Each of these 3 card types require different logic in the reader. Readers are backward compatible. An SDXC reader can read SDHC and SD, while an SDHC reader can read SD but not SDXC.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Chrome, which Mac model and which System version are involved? I don't know whether those answers would affect the outcome you describe, but they may. It's also possible that the Mac in question is not set up to read the format of the particular SDXC card you're using. :frown: You could remedy that by reformatting the SDXC card in that Mac, but of course you'd lose all the data your camera wrote to the card :eek: :mad: -- which wouldn't really solve your problem, would it :rolleyes:

P.S. Hope you're having a Merry Christmas wherever you are. :dancingparty: