Help with two lenses please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RickVaughn, Jan 8, 2014.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Hello, my new G6 is set to arrive this Friday and I'm looking into purchasing a Helios 44-2 and a Jupiter 9. I don't have much experience with adapted lenses and am hoping someone has advice on what to look for (and what to avoid) when shopping for these two.

Thank you in advance

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Although I do not have those lenses I do have many older lenses that I use adapted and I still buy used glass. You want to find lenses that are 100% functional without any fungus or haze inside, also excessive dust. Some dust is normal in a vintage lens. Also be leery of any lens with oil on the aperture blades. Oil on the blades themselves won't affect adapted use but the oil can transfer from the blades to the elements next to them. If you use ebay then take the seller's rep into account and figure out the shipping costs before bidding.

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    If buying off the auction site look for Cameras with the lens you want as it can be less money, I got my early gen 44 for 99p and local pickup with a Zenith E and a later version for £5 inc postage with a TTL (I think). I think I got the Jupiter 8 with a Zorki 4 for around £10 I think, this is the more used lens as it is a bit smaller and lighter and I slightly prefer the images. I would say if you are going to buy an M42 adaptor it could be worth looking for other cameras that are well priced with lenses, some of the former USSR lenses are really nice lenses, a lot are old Zeiss designs, the 44-2 is a Biotar I think. I got the cheapest adaptors I could find off Ebay it has worked well, its worth getting a rear lens cap for each adaptor too makes life a bit easier.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I believe they both come in either M39 or M42 mounts. If you get the M39 versions the adapter is smaller and they will take up less room.