Help with Sigma 56mm

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,
i just received a sigma 56mm 1.4; i had high hopes for it and did a quick test against my Oly 45mm 1.8
Upon opening the shots in C1, first thing i noticed is the lack of correction for the Sigma, showing some pinchcushion distrotion; i just fixed it manually, although it was already a nuisance.
Then i immediately noticed some strange coloring on the Sigma samples, even without zooming in; i have no idea if it's some reflection from the camera's sensor or what.
These are two samples, small 100% crops, both at f/2.8, same WB and no adjustments:
Oly:

Olympus_45.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sigma:

Sigma_56.jpg

What the hell is going on here? I checked the newspaper and there is no trace of that stuff.
I can see how much sharper the Sigma is, and it's nice to use, brighter and so on: but this is so off...
Thnak you for all the suggestions,
D.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
That's colour moire

You're getting it because of the extra resolution of the Sigma combined with the regular texture pattern in the newspaper halftones.

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Ok, but i do get it in the f/1.4 shots of the Sigma and not in the f/2.8 of the Oly...
Yet indeed it is stronger the more the Sigma is stopped down; i suppose it is also because of the distance difference: right for the moiré in the Sigma to show and not for the Oly.
Still, i've never seen such moiré in years of shooting with several bodies and lenses; granted, i do not shoot newspapers on the wall often ;-)

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
There's something very strange about the original post - if you are a subscribing member, it shows the camera and lens info below a posted picture. Under BOTH images, it says it was taken with the Oly 45mm lens. @Dch , are you sure about these images? Here is a screen snapshot of what a subscriber sees, with the oddity circled:
m43_forum_snap1.png

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
There's something very strange about the original post - if you are a subscribing member, it shows the camera and lens info below a posted picture. Under BOTH images, it says it was taken with the Oly 45mm lens. @Dch , are you sure about these images?
Yes, sorry for the mess: i stacked both captures in PS to crop them the same and the base layer was the Oly...

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
Ok, but i do get it in the f/1.4 shots of the Sigma and not in the f/2.8 of the Oly...
Yet indeed it is stronger the more the Sigma is stopped down; i suppose it is also because of the distance difference: right for the moiré in the Sigma to show and not for the Oly.
Still, i've never seen such moiré in years of shooting with several bodies and lenses; granted, i do not shoot newspapers on the wall often ;-)

It's tied partially to the resolution of the lens and partially to the frequency of the detail.

The combination of the two produces the moire.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Hi,
i just received a sigma 56mm 1.4; i had high hopes for it and did a quick test against my Oly 45mm 1.8
Upon opening the shots in C1, first thing i noticed is the lack of correction for the Sigma, showing some pinchcushion distrotion; i just fixed it manually, although it was already a nuisance.
Then i immediately noticed some strange coloring on the Sigma samples, even without zooming in; i have no idea if it's some reflection from the camera's sensor or what.
These are two samples, small 100% crops, both at f/2.8, same WB and no adjustments:
Oly:

View attachment 893190

Sigma:

View attachment 893191

What the hell is going on here? I checked the newspaper and there is no trace of that stuff.
I can see how much sharper the Sigma is, and it's nice to use, brighter and so on: but this is so off...
Thnak you for all the suggestions,
D.
Have you tried any other subject matter?

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
All kidding aside, @Dch , I don't think that a newspaper is a good subject for testing a lens. All those dots in the printing probably cause a lot of trouble. Even some higher-quality images (magazine printing, etc) would be better, I should think. Any brick walls around your neighborhood? Cereal boxes? Etc...

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Indeed ;-)
I was just reviewing several snapshots taken this afternoon with both lenses: Sigma, even wide open, is very, very impressive.
What i'm not so sure about is overall rendition: the Oly, while not as sharp, seems less contrasty (in a good way) and more pleasing. But overall, an impressive lens; i'll take more pictures tomorrow and see if i actually like it enough.

I don't see the Sigma 56mm listed here: https://support.captureone.com/hc/e...t-in-Capture-One#h_01F509T6WENGMHNCR6M0AJH2M6

So apparently that's a problem of Capture One. I know that at least DxO PhotoLab does have lens corrections available for the Sigma 56mm.
One more reason to try PhotoLab (or the RAW equivalent, can't remember the name); i just hate to add steps in the workflow, though...

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Other than the colors I like the Sigma better in your OP, but then I'm a contrasty kind of guy. The Oly looks flat and dull in a direct comparison.

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Other than the colors I like the Sigma better in your OP, but then I'm a contrasty kind of guy. The Oly looks flat and dull in a direct comparison.
I find it easier for portraits if the lens is not extremely sharp and also contrasty; OTOH i had and used the Oly for years and i'm quite used to it: i'll have to try the Sigma more.
It definitely feels much more substantial and robust, and the manual focus is miles ahead of the tiny 45 1.8; if i had an M1 ii (trying to get one used, but...) it would probably be a great match!

Mu-43 Legend
Are you using an EM5 original? One reason I didn't keep that camera long is I don't feel it got along with non-Oly lenses. A lot of magenta colors and pf out the wazoo. I'm on Panasonic now, and the S56 sings. I think the newer Olys also control for purple a bit more with at least Panny lenses. Or it could be color moire. I don't know much about that, TBH.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Are you using an EM5 original?
It appears that he is. Below is a forum snapshot of an image I posted earlier that I had taken with my E-M5.3. It shows the "MarkIII" info as well as the model.
m43_forum_snap2.png

Dch

Mu-43 Regular
Are you using an EM5 original? One reason I didn't keep that camera long is I don't feel it got along with non-Oly lenses. A lot of magenta colors and pf out the wazoo. I'm on Panasonic now, and the S56 sings. I think the newer Olys also control for purple a bit more with at least Panny lenses. Or it could be color moire. I don't know much about that, TBH.
Indeed i am. I will try it on the GX80 i also have and see if it works better.

Latest threads

Top Bottom