Help with screw size, Minolta 80-200

CharlieL

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I picked this lens up at the thrift store it is a Minolta 80-200mm f 3.5. It is missing a screw on the ring for the tripod mount. I cannot find a screw locally or in my junk drawers. Could somebody tell me what size screw it is or point me in the right direction on where to get one. Thanks in advance.

P9202595.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

CharlieL

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Drill and tap... at least that's I would do if I couldn't find one locally.

I have been thinking about that. There is not enough room underneath the ring for me to tap threads all the way through without taking off the ring. I am not sure how to take off the ring. If I can not find a screw I might get adventurous and try tapping. I had rather buy a screw than a bottoming tap.

Thanks for the input.

dpaultx

Mu-43 Regular
It's almost certainly a metric screw size which is going to make finding one even more difficult. What function does the screw serve? Is it like a thumb/set screw to stop the tripod ring from rotating?

CharlieL

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
It's almost certainly a metric screw size which is going to make finding one even more difficult. What function does the screw serve? Is it like a thumb/set screw to stop the tripod ring from rotating?

Yes, the screw secures the ring to the body. I assume that is way it is supposed to work. The ring is a loose-ish fit on the body of the lens.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been thinking about that. There is not enough room underneath the ring for me to tap threads all the way through without taking off the ring.

I haven't encountered a lens that the ring couldn't be removed easily as designed. In some cases, there is a slot and peg underneath the ring that requires you to position the ring in a certain way before it will slide off. Typically 180 degrees from the "normal" position in which the DOF scale markings are on top.

CharlieL

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Here is an update for the really bored or curious.

I ended up tapping the tapping the hole to a standard screw size. I could find the right diameter metric screws, but not the right pitch.

The ring was captive on the lens I had to remove the mount, aperture ring, and retaining collar. It all went smooth other than wrestling with the pesky little detent ball for the aperture ring. It took me several tries to get it right.

I am not sure it was all worth the effort, but I learned a little bit and stayed out trouble for awhile.

P9232598.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom