1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

help with RAW

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by JStheoriginal, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    so...i just got my OM-D and just took some pics (LN jpg + RAW). I'm comparing the jpg and RAW file in lightroom and the raw is ridiculously terrible. what is causing this? And what am i supposed to be doing to fix it?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I assume the jpg is on the left? The camera has applied a lot of noise reduction to the raw to create that smeared, yet low noise jpg. The raw has had no noise reduction applied. That's part of the power of raw, you can apply as little or much noise reduction after the fact as you see fit. Notice that although noisier, there is much more detail in the raw. Try the noise reduction slider in Lightroom and you can make the raw look the same or better. The other nice thing is that the algorithm for noise reduction is a lot better in Lightroom and can give you more detail with less noise if used properly.

3. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    thanks! i suspected that's what happened. i'll fiddle around with the noise reduction and see how i make out.

4. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    One other note, you are obviously at full zoom too, be sure to look at your edits normal size too. Sometimes what looks noisy when pixel peaking looks sharp when viewed normal and what looks noise free when pixel peaking looks soft when viewed normal size.

5. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    thanks again for the help!

here's the final product. :)

i took this pic on the couch in near darkness last night.
    RAW at ISO 6400 (can't believe how well it turned out at that ISO level)!!!

8591565018_86efdc8397_b.
    Eddy Prowling by JStheoriginal, on Flickr

6. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    No wonder there are so much noise due to ISO 6400. But it is still a spectacular sensor from your OMD for ISO 6400.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The left is smeared, no detail. Like others have said, this is where RAW shines. For some images I acutally prefer to do minimal noise reduction in LR/DxO, preserving detail, and export to 16 bit TIFF and use Nik DFine to fine-tune noise - areas that don't have a lot detail can be treated more aggressively, while a little grain is not objectionable if detail is preserved, in my book.

8. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    That's a very respectable finished product (challenging conditions or not), I think you're on the right track :)