Help with PP

super slinky

Mu-43 Rookie
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalouie/7614152056/" title="P7117487 by DigitaLouie, on Flickr">
7614152056_c93b910691.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
"375" height="500" alt="P7117487"></a>

I like this portrait. I did a few minor tweaks in lightroom, but I know it could be better. Like the highlights, is it too blown out? or the skin tone, is it too red? Let me know what you think, btw I'm new to this so I'd appreciate any helpful tips in PP (or anything for that matter). Thanks! :smile:

DekHog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Which lens did you use for this? It's actually a lovely image, but checking out the full-sized image on Flickr shows that nothing in it is really sharp; this is either down to missed focus or the combination of lens/aperture? I'm guessing the second option is the problem as there should be a sharp focus point somewhere between the very OOF foreground and background......

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
I like the image, It is a bit soft but I don't mind the softness of the image because it is about a child. The colour balance can be corrected in Lightroom if you sample off the grey on the tee shirt. Unless the image was shot in raw I doubt if you can fix the blowout areas as the histogram is climbing the wall on the right hand side.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I love the lighting but the white balance and saturation look off to me. I like natural looking skin tones.

I downloaded and opened the largest file in Photoshop Elements camera raw. I did a quick adjustment to the white balance as Grant suggested, by sampling the gray in her shirt. I lowered the saturation and vibrance as well for a natural skin tone. The saturation was so high that at least one color channel was blown. Lowering it smoothed out the tonal gradation.

It may not be what you're looking for, but it's how I generally approach portraits.

Attachments

• adjusted.JPG
    adjusted.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 99

super slinky

Mu-43 Rookie
Which lens did you use for this? It's actually a lovely image, but checking out the full-sized image on Flickr shows that nothing in it is really sharp; this is either down to missed focus or the combination of lens/aperture? I'm guessing the second option is the problem as there should be a sharp focus point somewhere between the very OOF foreground and background......

Lens here is a SMC Takumar 50/1.4, I shot this wide open, it may have been a combination of both haha, still working on my mf skills. Thanks!:smile:

super slinky

Mu-43 Rookie
I like the image, It is a bit soft but I don't mind the softness of the image because it is about a child. The colour balance can be corrected in Lightroom if you sample off the grey on the tee shirt. Unless the image was shot in raw I doubt if you can fix the blowout areas as the histogram is climbing the wall on the right hand side.

Thanks! This was already my attempt at color correction hehe, I dont know, I cant seem to hit the nail right on the spot. As for sampling, I do not know of that, I will have to look that up. Thanks for the advice! :smile:

super slinky

Mu-43 Rookie
I love the lighting but the white balance and saturation look off to me. I like natural looking skin tones.

I downloaded and opened the largest file in Photoshop Elements camera raw. I did a quick adjustment to the white balance as Grant suggested, by sampling the gray in her shirt. I lowered the saturation and vibrance as well for a natural skin tone. The saturation was so high that at least one color channel was blown. Lowering it smoothed out the tonal gradation.

It may not be what you're looking for, but it's how I generally approach portraits.

Thanks! Do you mind explaining how you sampled the grey in the shirt? I use LR4. I like your edit, made her skin tone more like hers. Thanks! :smile:

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
Thanks! Do you mind explaining how you sampled the grey in the shirt? I use LR4. I like your edit, made her skin tone more like hers. Thanks! :smile:

I don't use Lightroom, but there should be an eyedropper somewhere. The Camera Raw version in PS Elements has the dropper in the row of tools at the top of the window. Look at the controls for white balance and read your documentation.

Fred

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks! Do you mind explaining how you sampled the grey in the shirt?

Find the White Balance control, to the left of the two slider you will see a small eyedropper. Select the eyedropper and go to your image and then just click an area in you image that is, or should be, grey. Any shade of grey should work. That is all there is to it.

super slinky

Mu-43 Rookie
Find the White Balance control, to the left of the two slider you will see a small eyedropper. Select the eyedropper and go to your image and then just click an area in you image that is, or should be, grey. Any shade of grey should work. That is all there is to it.

Thanks Grant!

Latest threads

Top Bottom