Help with Polarizing Filters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Jan 14, 2014.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Can someone tell me what the difference between these 3 filters are? The price difference is pretty steep between the cheap one and the expensive one.

This is for my E-PL5. The first one comes in a kit with 2 other filters:
  2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Cheaper filters may lower your final image quality. Higher grade filters use better quality glass and coatings and will not negatively effect image quality .
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I would purchase a multi-coated filter. The B+W filters are very high quality. I use this polarizer as it fits most of my lenses. for the smaller diameter lenses I use a 46mm to 52mm step up filter adapter ring.
  5. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    In adverse conditions you would be happy if you had THIS one.
  6. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
  7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Why go and stick a cheap Polarizing Filter on the front of a good lens, give the lens a chance.

Hoya HD Polarizing Filters it has to be.
  8. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I have a B+W and a couple of Kenko Pro1 D Digital Wideband's. The B+W is the same as the Kenko's image quality wise but the Kenko's are far more effective polarizers even though they are rated at the same level of stops.

It is hard to see the difference using the B+W in the viewfinder but with the Kenko's it is dramatic.
    Funnily the 46mm is a lot stronger than the 52mm even though they are the same model number.
  9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Well, this is going to depend on what lenses you have. I have a 37mm to 58mm step up ring and a 46mm to 58mm step up ring. This allows me to use 58mm filters on all my lenses, including the Olympus 40-150mm zoom lens. The two step up rings are fotodiox rings. I can't remember where I got them, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
  11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    always liked brass (like B+W Heliopan etc..) over aluminum style filters purely cause they won't seize up on the end of the lens ever :) since most threads are metal I know some are plastic which would not matter then :)

for wides always bought the lower profile ones and regular for regular :)

brass are more $but IMHO worth it for again brass is smoother and won't seize like aluminum can :)

Heiopan step rings in brass

I tend to buy filters for my lens and not use step rings ? but it can save money

also I like to keep my hoods on for sure when using a CP which step rings often you can't :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Based on that article, I've gone with several of the marumi super dhg's over the past two years and I love them. They are affordable, low profile, and noticeably less light reduction than the one B&W I owned.
    • Like Like x 1