1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help with Point and Shoot purchase

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by dogs100, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Mods. I am not sure if it is OK to post this here so please delete it if it isn't allowed or move it if it is in the wrong place.

I will be buying a P&S as a present for someone in the next month or so and wonder what is out there. I have a XZ1 as my pocket camera and love it but think it might be a tad too sophisticated for the person. Sizewise, I wouldn't want to go any bigger than the XZ1 and I haven't decided how much to spend, but the recipient has been a big help to me and I want to say 'thank you' in a lasting way, but also don't want to pressure them so the option to use it as a Point and Shoot or a bit more would be up to them.

I would be grateful for any help as I am pretty clueless ... I am in the UK by the way.

Thanks in advance

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    As much as I'm not a Sony fan, the handheld twilight feature is pretty damn amazing.

That or anything that says Canon on it, you cant go too far wrong.

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    On the smaller (than XZ-1) and cheaper (than Sony RX-100) side, there is the Canon S100. Full set of controls but can be used as a point-and-shoot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I bought my sister a used LX3 and she is doing fine with it. Remember that these cameras have auto modes and you don't have to adjust settings. Good deals now on the XZ1.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I really like Sony for P&S if you are using the auto mode. They have lots of options. Very slim and pocketable up to mid sized zooms (close to XZ-1 in size) with everything in between. Check them out at DPReview. It's really a question of style vs features vs price. Sony cams at DPR

Panasonic would be my second choice. Although if you want to get something close to "high end" without spending RX100 type dollars the LX7 probably jumps to the top of the list.

6. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Plenty to think about ... Ideally I would like to buy a very good second hand XZ1 and I might try to buy one off here, but realistically I think the canon range is the most likely ... the juries still out.

Thank you all for your help.

7. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike