Help with ORF + CS4

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by lump_a_charcoal, Aug 24, 2012.

1. lump_a_charcoal

lump_a_charcoal Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 12, 2012
    Hi all,

I have been trying to get everything working for hours now, but I have just about given up in frustration.

Firstly, I am on a Mac.

I am trying to use CS4 Photoshop to edit my ORF files from my OMD.

I have LR4, as well as DNG converter.

I cannot open any ORF files in CS4, nor can I convert them with DNG Convertor.

I can open them in LR4, but when trying to export to Photoshop for panoramic stitching, Photoshop cannot open them.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks,

Linc

2. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Since the OM-D is one of the newest camera, if you don't have your Camera Raw file updated via the updater. CS4 used version 5 of camera raw.

LR uses the latest Camera Raw 7. THe OM-D was not included until Camera Raw version 6.3, and 7. So I believe CS5 and 6 are the only two photoshop programs that will open OM-D ORF files. Not every ORF file is the same, as they are made by different camera models despite them all being Olympus.

Checking adobe's download page, I dont believe they even support new Camera Raw releases for CS4. Adobe - Downloads

One workaround may be to Convert to DNG in Lightroom (adobe raw file) and probably open that in CS4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. whatisinthebag

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Found the update page:

Adobe - Photoshop : For Macintosh

Looks like CS4 was only updated through 5.7 Camera Raw.
    Photoshop CS4 will not be able to open your ORF files.

Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lump_a_charcoal

Jul 12, 2012
    OK, so I guess I need another panoramic stitcher then, or I guess I can just stitch the jpegs...

Thanks WITB!

5. whatisinthebag

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Try Exporting from lightroom to DNG then opening those DNG in CS4. It could work.
    Right click on any image, select export and choose Export to DNG

• Like Like x 1
  6. lump_a_charcoal

Jul 12, 2012
    Hot damn, it worked!

I owe you a cold beer, a pretzel, or both, if you wish!

7. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I was in the same boat as you and LR4 worked like a charm. I so much prefer processing photographs in CS4 than LR4. BTW, has anyone tried correcting CA and basic exposure changes in LR4 and then exporting DNGs with those settings embedded? I'd love to correct CA in LR and then do the rest in CS4.

EDIT: I don't really want to deal with .TIFF files as my Mac has just 2GB of RAM.

8. whatisinthebag

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    DNG in Lightroom 4 uses Camera Raw version 7.
    This version of Camera Raw is not compatible with CS4, 5, or 5.5.
    Only Adobe CS6 programs can read Camera Raw v7 edits.

The way Camera Raw works is basically code that instructs the image processing program to take the original pool of data from Raw image, and interpret the data following the rules of the code added by Camera Raw.

The original pool of data remains intact with some added Camera Raw code riding along.

So, exporting the DNG doesn't change the data, just adds instructions to the data. If your modifications in Lightroom use newer Camera Raw algorithms, some aspects of the exported DNG's corrections would likely not carry over because the older CS4 Camera Raw would not be able to interpret the modifications.

TIFF and JPG would likely be the only way to export modified images to older Creative Suite 4.

Also, Ram is really cheap. 2gb is not enough anymore :smile: I got 8gb for $50 from Crucial last year. Best $50 I spent in 2011.

• Like Like x 1
  9. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA

Thanks, I think I need to get a new computer as I can't upgrade the RAM to beyond 4gb. But, if I close Chrome when I am working on a photograph, I should be able to manage with TIFF file.