1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help with OM lens Adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sebs_color, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    hey guys, i was hoping to get some help here. im pretty new to photography in general, but i am looking in to getting an Olympus OM lens. i have a micro 4/3 camera (e-pm2), so as you guys know i need an adapter. the adapter i found on ebay says this:

Although the lens will fit physically,automatic diaphragm,auto-focusing,or any other function will not operate correctly while using this adapter.
    In this case "Stop-down mode"will need to be used when metering since the lens doesn't have the ability to have its apeture controlled by camera body.You can shoot with manual mode or apeture priority mode

Does anyone know if i will be able to do this?

thanks for the help!

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    What they are saying is that with old Olympus OM lenses, they are fully manual with no electronic contacts. So when you adapt one of these lenses to your camera, you will need to manually set the desired aperture on the lens, and manually focus the lens (there will not be autofocus). In aperture priority mode, the camera will still meter the amount of light, so the camera will set the correct shutter speed for a properly exposed picture. I didn't see the link to the specific adapter, but any Olympus OM to m4/3 adapter should work fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Thank you! I knew it would be manual, I just wasn't sure how the camera would accept it. Thank you for your help!

4. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

One other point: legacy OM lenses have a lever built into the mount, that operates the aperture diaphragm when the shutter button is pressed. Otherwise, the lens is wide-open, to help with manual focusing.

Most M43 adapters have a tab that operates this lever, so that you can adjust the aperture as needed. Without the tab, the lens would be wide open permanently. You need to be sure that you have an adapter with the tab; Fotodiox is one brand that does.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    A quick advice: there are plenty adapters out there, and they all sorta work, but many has a loose fit and fragile materials. Check reviews to see if it os any good. I personally got sick of flimsy cheap ones and got the original mf2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The description may be referring to the few OM AFTER lenses that were available at the end of the production cycle. If you have a manual OM lens any adapter should work fine.
    I have many OM Lenses and there are no issues with using, with a cheap adapter I picked up from rainbow imaging.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    • Like Like x 1
  8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have had several different adapters (Fotodiox, Rainbow, etc. come to mind). They were all cheap and they all worked just fine. No need to spend alot of money on one of these adapters. I have not found any that did not have the little screw or post to hold the aperture ring in position correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    This might be the case with some of the cheaper 3rd party lenses in OM mount, but not quite true with Olympus' own lenses. The Olympus lenses will all have a DOF button on the lens barrel. If using an adapter without the tab, you simply press and hold the button while you take the picture.

Also with most (all??) m43 cameras you will need to set the "shoot without lens" menu option to "yes". Otherwise, the camera will only work when a real m43 lens with a full electrical interface is mounted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen

11. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    BiaƂystok, Poland
    I was using Olympus DSLRs for a long time. At first E-300, then E-3. It was the time, when I got a lot of AF and MF lenses with various mounts. Since there were no "Chinese" adapters available in Poland, I bought original MMF-2 adapter and used it with my M42, OM and other 4/3 adapters. I bought those long time ago and some of them were made in Poland by people, who knew their tools. It works really well, but it's not solution for everyone. You might end up with a ton of metal rings in your bag, just like me ;)

I'm not very familiar with the quality of modern cheap adapters. I recently bought EF>M42 adapter for Focal Reducer and that one was super-solid. I recommend to choose (if there's a possibility) not the cheapest version. I mean, when there's a significant difference in look. Sometimes seller describe their item as made of "metal", sometimes as brass or aluminium (and that's better!).