Help with new Olympus 40-150 pro 2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by atlantic21, Mar 28, 2015.

1. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    need some help/advice not sure if my new lens is soft please look at photo. Having looked at my pictures taken today some have missed focus all together and quite a few appear to be soft
    iso 500
    shutter 1/1250
    aperture F4.5
    with tele converter
    many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Phlash46

Phlash46 Nikon Refugee

Jul 1, 2014
    Montrose, NY
    Bruce Gordon
    The swans neck and head are soft; however, none of the other shots in Flicker are at all soft.

3. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Hi Phlash46 thanks for looking did you look at the two bolts as the second one looks soft to me

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    In one bolt the focus is on the front of the bolt and it looks fine. In the other the focus seems to be more far into the photo: check the rod in the "bad" picture to me it looks sharper than the other one. Is it possibile that you moved slightly after you acquired the focus?
    The swan is strange, 1/1250 is fast. Which AF mode did you use? Was a quick snapshot shot with the display or did you took the time to check your position, the focus point, pressing the button immediately after the focus confirmation, etc.?

5. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Klorenzo focus point used is centre through viewfinder and took time to compose and focus with half button press.Bolt focus was on the large flat of the head each time and thanks for helping, for info i have had a problem with camera see link to thread https://www.mu-43.com/threads/71045/

6. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    I would test sharpness using a tripod, cable release or self timer and the lowest ISO, that would eliminate a bunch of variables...

7. daanh

daanh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 25, 2010
    I too think I have problems with this lens (see other post), but when I look at your pictures they are incredibly sharp, all except the swan...

Daan

8. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    I have photographed a lot of swans in the last few years and actually they are quite difficult subjects to get sharp - this is usually down to 2 things. Firstly, when using a small single focus point on a uniform white bird there can be insufficient contrast under that focus point to gain accurate focus lock, so to avoid this I tend to focus on the bird's head and then rapidly recompose. If you are shooting with expanded focus points it is possible that focus will lock on the water adjacent to the bird instead of the animal itself. Plus swans tend to drift through the plane of focus quicker than you might think. I have observed this irrespective of how 'great' my equipment is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I stopped using focus and recompose techniques a long time ago. Unless you are shooting at f/8 or smaller aperture, you run the risk of shifting your focal plane and thus shifting your point of focus as it is captured. I change the focus point to be in the part of the frame I want in focus. It's the only way to be sure.

10. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    In a lot of the situations I shoot in I don't have the time to shift the focus point(s), but I've learned to be very fast in how I recompose. Given sufficient camera to subject distance (in other words, we are not at whopping magnifications) this can be done quite successfully (providing there is not much subject movement) even at the wider apertures.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atlantic21

atlantic21 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    UK
    Thanks to every one that has replied .Lindsay D thanks for the detailed explanation for when photographing swans .I now think some of the problems are me and the amount of light that was available on the day ( very overcast ) have taken some photos today in bright light and they are much better see link below
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/48758592@N05/sets/72157651549280876/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1