Help with Lightroom please...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by silver92b, Mar 16, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I got Lightroom 4.3 64bit installed in my laptop and I am having fun playing with it and my RAW files. However, I don't know some very basic but important things about the program.

Please help me out here. This might sound stupid, but I don't know how to get my post processed photos out of Lightroom to post them or email them or whatever, except in a very small format which is basically a low quality, small image... I get this by "exporting for email" or "export to hard drive". Is there something I am missing? Granted, the photos I exported were heavily cropped. Still, I wonder if I am doing something wrong or if there is another way to make the post processed images into usable Jpegs.

Thanks in advance!
  2. TDP

TDP Guest

Right click and pick export. From there you can set dpi and image size. Tell it to not resize and set the dpi to 72 (for screen viewing) and see if that works out better for you.
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I assume you can get to the export dialogue (Mac: CMND/SHIFT/E Win: CNTRL/SHIFT/E).

Go to the image size dialogue about half way down and check those settings. Some personal recomendations:

For email set the pixels to 1000 on the longest side.
    For lab prints set the pixels to 300 x the longest size, in inches (for a 6x4 print it would be 300x6=1800 pixels)
    For printing to an Epson printer set the pixels to 360 by the logest size in inches.
    For Canon printers set the pixels to 300 x the lpongest side in inches.
    For a Llambda printer (photo books mainly) set the pixels for 400 x the longest side in inches.

Also LR set the quality very low. For prints I bump it back to at least 90. Ignore the ppi (dpi) setting. It doesn't mean much if you set the actual output sizes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I highly recommend Scott Kelby's Lightroom book. It's a step by step guide that will walk you through how to do things in LR. And most of the images he uses as examples in the book can be downloaded, so you can follow along on your computer.

When I first go LR I felt lost, until I worked through this book. It's an excellent way to learn the program.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow! Fantastic help. Thanks to each and everyone. You are great!:2thumbs:
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I second this! Great book. I am going through it right now.
  8. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Ordered it 2 days ago!
  9. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    a great set of videos at Luminous Landscape.

The Luminous Landscape

I purchased two set of videos from Luminous Landscape teaching how to use LR. You have two sides of the program. One how to process images and one how to keep up with the images you process. You pay on line, and download files one lesson at a time. The teaching is very clear.

I have two computers set up in my home office. One is a workstation where my photos are kept, and the other is a laptop that I use to go to places like Mu-43. Having two computers near each other lets me watch a lesson on one computer and work on the photo or program on the second computer. The lessons are clear and very helpful. While I read a lot, I find that having someone walk you through the process in a video is more helpful and if you didn't get it the first time you can re look at the video.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, I will see about getting this book. My problem is that I have problems learning from books. I don't know why, but it's very challenging for me. Although I can read very well and understand every word I read (in 2 languages), I have a heck of a time actually learning from books :frown:
    But nevertheless, I will investigate the book if I can before I give up on it. :smile:

Thanks for the tip. I have thought about buying some of these courses. Like you, I like the idea of watching the lesson on one screen while simultaneously working the exercise on another screen.. The reason I have not bought the courses yet is because I don't know the good from the not so good.... I have found some of the instructional you tube videos to be quite nice, but it would be much better to have the videos right in the computer....