Help with Lightroom 5.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by sebs_color, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Hello all,
    So I recently got the trial of Lightroom 5 and I've been having issues when going to "print" a picture I have finished. In order to "publish" a picture, or basically put it in PDF format, it seems I have to go to the print option and select to print to PDF. If anyone knows of a different way please let me know. The problem I am running in to is that when I got to the print tab, it loses all of the softening I do.it goes back to the grainy original. The photos were shot in RAW. Could it be because it is a trial version? Someone please help me. Thank you!

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are you wanting to actually print an image to paper, or just wanting a file reflecting your work on the raw file in Lightroom? If the latter, then you need to export the image, which will create a file outside of Lightroom that will reflect the changes.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Ken,

So basically I'm trying to save my finished photo because I wanted to use it as my wallpaper. But the only way I have found possible it to print to PDF. But when I do that it takes away the softening I've done. Basically any changes I've done to the file from the DETAIL section under DEVELOP is undone.

Any advice??

4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Right click on picture while in develop module (after the changes are done), find "export" option and choose settings for export (path, size, filetype and others).
    I'm a newb in LR too so if anyone knows a better way, please chime in.

sent from my Xperia Z

• Like Like x 1
  5. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    actual export. Screen 1.

so here is what I am dealing with. one image of the photo in LR you see the image edited. the second image (called actual export) you see what gets exported to PDF.

PLEASE HELP

6. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Sounds unusual, though I have never output a pdf. Why are you exporting as a pdf rather than a jpeg, which I think you could equally use as your wallpaper?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    So sorry for the confusion guys. Every time is wrote PDF I meant to write jpeg

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If I wanted an image to use as wallpaper, I would process the image in the Develop module until it looked as I wish. Then, in the Library module, I would select that image and export it. This will create a file which will reflect the changes that you made in the Develop module. Note that when exporting a file, you will also have to make some choices about how the file will be created (i.e. size, color space, file type, sharpening).

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  9. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Yeah I've tried that also. But the final product is not what I am getting. Could it be because I have a trial version?

10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The final jpeg is not looking like it did in lr?

sent from my Xperia Z

• Like Like x 1
  11. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Okay, tweak your pic in 'develop'. Once you feel the changes are to your liking, follow these steps.

1. Click 'File' on the toolbar.
    2. Choose 'export'.
    3. Choose file destination (hard drive).
    4. Choose file folder or simply 'desktop'.
    5. Choose file name.
    6 Click on 'export'.

If that doesn't work you've got a dodgy copy or something else has gone awry with the programme.

EDIT: you can do all this from 'develop' and the programme will save your changes when it exports the copy - and it is a copy which it saves - to your destination folder.

• Like Like x 1
  12. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Using the trial version should make no difference, it is fully functional until you hit the time limit.

When you talk about "printing", are you actually going into the print module? If you don't really want to produce a physical print I think it is better to use Export rather than Print, using the steps Itchybiscuit listed.

It can be a bit confusing at first that Lightroom doesn't have an exact equivalent of the Save function found in many other programs, but Export achieves much the same thing, at least in the context of what you are trying to do. One thing I found helpful when I was getting used to how Lightroom works was to temporarily make extreme adjustments to photos (e.g. ridiculously oversharpened) so I could be absolutely sure which version I was looking at at any given time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have tried it as you guys said it. Both print saving and by exporting. No matter how I do it, the JPEG does not look (at all) like the edited photo.

I think I will attempt to download it again.

14. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Looks to me as if you exported with not so optimal settings.
    Have you checked that
    * color space is sRGB
    * jpeg quality is at 100%
    * that in case you resize the pic "Don't enlarge" is ticked
    * resolution is at the default 320

Is the original file at least your desktop's resolution?