help with lens turbos what works and what dose not

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kiwirobfinland, Apr 5, 2016.

1. kiwirobfinland

kiwirobfinland Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    rob
    Hi i was thinking of getting a lens turbo but hit the problem that there is
    no clear information on what cameras and lens work and what do not.
    So i thought that i would ask here if those of you are using lensturbo/speedboosters
    if you would be so kind as to post here what speedbooster/lensturbo camera lens combinations you have found that work and what do not work.

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have the RJ focal reducer and the Zhongyi Lens Turbo II, both in FD mount. Unless you need FD mount, a more universal option is EF/EOS mount, and then you can buy adapters to fit OM, Nikon, and M42.

With specific reference to FD mount, both had some issues. My RJ/Roxsen was poorly machined. Several of my FD lenses didn't fit until I took some metal off the adapter. The Zhongyi might have a problem with your FD lenses if the aperture lever is bent, I had one lens like that, and so I had to straighten the bent arm. FD mount is the most complicated to adapt though.

With reference to camera fit, the RJ/Roxsen might come out of the shop with the reducer lens assembly hitting the inside of the camera. If so, it can be adjusted, but not too high or it might hit the adapted lens. The Lens Turbo has a narrower diameter lens, so it won't hit the camera but I have read posts that the smaller lens will vignette on longer focal lengths. Edit. It will at 135mm.

I see that my Lens Turbo II is sharper from edge to edge than the RJ. I would recommend the Lens Turbo II. If I had the budget, I would try the Metabones Speedbooster but that would cost more than all my adapter lens together plus the Lens Turbo,

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    I have the Lens Turbo 2 for Minolta mount. Works very well with my MC Rokkor 58mm/1.4 but has significant vignetting using a Tamron Adaptable 90mm/2.5 Macro.

• Useful Useful x 2