Help With Lens Selection

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by deveaushawn, Feb 10, 2014.

1. deveaushawn

deveaushawn Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    I'm looking for a fast lens for low light and street shooting. Since I'm an Oly shooter, I already have IBIS, so I don't think it makes sense to pay 'extra' for a stabilized lens, unless there is a significant boost in IQ.

Given that, I've identified the following lenses as candidates:

Olympic 25mm f/1.8 @ $400CAD

Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 @ $600CAD

OR I could pick up the following 2 lenses:

Sigma 19mm f/2.8 @ $200CAD
    Sigma 30mm f/2.8 @ $200CAD

Does anyone know if the Panasonic is worth an extra $200 to go from f/1.8 to f/1.4?

Would I be better off with the 2 Sigmas?

Thanks!

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I do low light street shooting and my favourite lens for this is the Panasonic Leica 25mm. When I bought it, it was the only bright 50mm FOV available. The plus is that color and the bokeh @ 1.4 are nice. Even my photo meetup group members commented how super nice my images came out of the Oly with this lens! Since I shoot with an E-PL1 and not with the modern bodies, I'm pretty strapped for light so every ounce of speed I can get from a lens is better for me. If you have a 3 or 5 axis IBIS and the latest 16MP sensor, then save your money and go Olympus. I find that in low light and with a 28mm f/2.8 prime lens on my Coolpix A (which is similar to the Fuji X100S or Ricoh GR), I am always starving for light and needed to push over to ISO 3200 or 6400, thus loosing some saturation and detail in the process. Not so with my 1.4 lens, where I usually stay within 1600 and 3200, which are pretty much my limit on my E-PL1. If you have the new Oly E-M10, E-M5, E-P5 or maybe the E-PL5, then you could probably get away with the Sigmas. They are sharp though.

3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I loved my 19mm Sigma, but I just couldn't make it work in low light. If that's your primary use case, it's a no-no, and the 25mm Panasonic jumps to the first position among your options.

To answer your question, yes, this lens is that good indeed, but there's a caveat, it's pretty large for a Mu43 prime. If maximum portability is a concern the 25mm Zuiko is justified (it's an excellent lens in its own right, and has sharper corners wide open than the 1.4 at equal aperture. Though most people won't care about corners at this aperture...)

Another question is if you care about video performance, well, the PL's aperture blades can be a little noisy when focusing, while modern Zuiko primes are completely silent.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

While I agree that the PL25 is comparatively loud compared to the MSC lenses, it's actually much quieter in movie mode than stills mode for whatever reason, so the problem is not as bad as it seems.

5. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I would go for the pana 25mm.
    I own one and at f1.4, this is the low light lens to have.

F2.8 is not fast enough in my opinion.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

6. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    Just a note. There's a 349CAD deal posted in the hot deals forum for the 25 1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  7. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I suggest that you add the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 to the list. It is agreat lens in a small package. For street photography 25mm might be too narrow.

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

8. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    It depends (I guess) on whether the half stop or so means something to you - it does help to keep either ISO lower or SS higher (IBIS will not help you with moving people). I personally use the 1.4 and like it a lot.

9. deveaushawn

deveaushawn Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks everyone for your help. I was convinced to buy the Panasonic until I saw the Hot Deal mentioned above. I just ordered the Oly 25mm from The Camera Store for $350.

I'll share photos and let you know what I think as soon as it arrives.

• Like Like x 1