1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help with Kodak Cine Ektanon 63mm f/2.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Motmot, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Motmot

Motmot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2016
    Thousand Islands, New York
    Dan Miller
    Inspired by others' photos taken with Kodak 63mm cine lenses, I just got one for a reasonable price because the focus was frozen. A little heat and I had the focus helicoid apart, cleaned, and relubed with a little toy train grease. Focus is now nice and smooth. I did not mess with the aperture because that is still working smoothly.

Today a cheap S- to C-mount with C- to M43 mount arrived in the mail from China. Mounted it all up, and I am having trouble with focus. I wonder if anyone else has experience with this lens that can help me out.

When reassembling the focus helicoid, I screwed it all the way in, then backed it off until far enough to have to pull the focus limiter pin to the next area. Here I am able to focus to infinity, but when at the close end of the focus range (3' and under), focus is still far off in the distance. In order to focus any closer I have to pull the limiter and go into macro mode. This is counter to how I understand this lens is supposed to work. Motion relative to the "red line" is as described in the manual that came with the lens.

So, am I doing something wrong with the lens, am I misinterpreting how it is supposed to function, or is my adapter setup somehow incorrect?

Any help appreciated.

Photo of lens attached. Had to play with my new lightbox a little :biggrin:

Dan
    P1110086.
    E-M5MarkII    OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro    60mm    f/2.8    1/160s    ISO 200

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, when acheiving infinity focus, is the focus indicator at the infinity mark, or far past it?

If past, perhaps you can adjust it again while testing it at the same time to get the infinity mark near correct; after that, close focus should be better.

(Note my experience doing this is with other branded lenses)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Motmot

Motmot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2016
    Dan Miller
    Thanks for your reply - the indicator is at the infinity mark when achieving infinity focus.

I think I need to spend some time outdoors messing with it. Too bad it was warm, but rainy today. Now we are on our way from 50F through 24F on our way to 0, with up to a foot of snow in the morning. Not conducive to outdoor photography!

• Like Like x 1
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Did you take out any lens elements when you were fixing it? Is it possible you put one in the wrong way?

5. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Based on my copy of the lens, the aperture ring on your lens seems to be too close at that focus distance. Also, the aperture part seems to be 180 degree off from mine. I haven't taken mine apart, but I wonder if it possible that you turned something 180 degrees when you put it all back together.

20180112_154410.

Beautiful looking lens, btw.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Motmot

Motmot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2016
    Dan Miller
    @siftu@siftu - Lenses were removed within their housings, but not removed from them.

@SVQuant@SVQuant - You may be on to something - I can focus to infinity in the position my lens is shown in. If I "zoom out the barrel as shown in your photo, I can get close focus. Can't get the one with the other without changing both the focus ring and the barrel extension. (Does that make sense?)

7. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. Motmot

Motmot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2016
    Dan Miller
    Yes, I've been studying that thread a lot.

Progress being made (and perhaps a "Duh" moment had). I wasn't getting the back guide screw into its slot properly. Looks like it will behave better now that I figured that out. I'm going to go out to the shop tomorrow and clean and lube the bits I didn't do yet, as focus is so stiff with the guide screw in, that it is backing the lens off the adapter.

Thanks for the help!
    Dan

• Like Like x 1
  9. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Glad that you solved your problem and found out that the guide screw was not seated properly.
    The helicoid will remain stiff unless you disassemble and completely clean the "ear wax" substance (that once was fluid grease) and replace it with thin (I insist on thin, water like) grease.
    It should take just two fingers and light action to get to rotate the helicoid.

About the "close focus" capability.
    The lens has a focus limiter (not unlike some modern Zuikos) where it will focus from infinity to close-ish, then you can pull the pin and the lens will focus closer, much closer. Some (like me) prefer to have uninterrupted focusing and lift the pin and jam something under it to lock in a "out" position.
    A very good execution for that has been shown recently here

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle haunted scrap heap Subscribing Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    Normally with adapters providing the correct indexing, there should be ~3mm of space between the focus and aperture rings when focused at infinity. Looking at your picture, I suspect one thing you might need to change is how far the focus ring is threaded into its holding threads. It threads itself outward as you focus closer (extending the optical unit forward). See that circumscribed red line showing below the ticks? That should be hidden at this focus distance, and not be exposed until closer to the other end of the focus range (this is assuming the marker/grip ring is properly seated all the way down on the underlying brass ring). I'm not sure if this is related to your problem or not, but it's something to keep in mind when you re-assemble. Did you ever remove the set screws from this ring?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Motmot

Motmot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2016
    Dan Miller
    Got it! Cleaned and lubed the parts I hadn't done before, reassembled (four times - there are four options for inserting the outer barrel), and no behaves as it should.

Thanks to all for your help teaching me how this lens works.

BTW - it helps to remember to reset the image stabilizer focal length.

Here is the obligatory gato diablo photo.
    Dan
    P1140002.
    E-M5MarkII    ---       f/1.0    1/6s    ISO 1600

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.