help with gx7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by joele, Mar 14, 2014.

1. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Having trouble getting my gx7 to behave like my em5 or any DSLR did.. i.e. On the em5 when you press the LVF button the back LCD turns off so it works like a normal DSLR i.e. you use the viewfinder to compose shots and the rear screen shows the shots you have taken when you press the 'review/play' button..

If I try the same on the gx7 (i.e. pressing the LVF button) the viewfinder will be used for composing shots and battery is saved as the rear LCD isn't on all the time. The problem is the viewfinder is also used to review shots, not the rear LCD screen, unless I hit the LVF button again every time I want to switch between reviewing shots and taking shots... So the way around this is to press the 'disp' button 5 times (when using rear LCD as viewfinder), but this is not remembered by the camera when the power is cycled?

Is there a way to save this preference, just trying to get it to behave like a normal camera, i.e. I use viewfinder to compose shots and rear LCD to review them without having to press extra buttons to change display mode in between..

2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    enable Eye Sensor so screen turns off when you use EVF and turns on when you take away your eye and press Play.

Can't remember where it is in settings but that's how I do it.

Might not be exactly how you want it but that's the only method I know.

3. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes have that but that means every time your eye is away from the sensor the rear screen is on and using up an already pretty poor battery... ohh well explains the poor battery life ratings.. Just seems crazy as all the olympus and even my previous panasonic cameras could do this, but not the gx7? weird....

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I think you are right. Although if you keep the monitor set to the 'quick menu' view, at least you only need to hit the DISP button once.

5. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    quick menu view?

The other solution I found was map Fn1 to LVF and then at least the play and LVF are next to each other and you just press them both each time (only works if auto LCD/EVF is turned off)... Turning off auto switching from LVF to LCD also allows the camera to at least remember it was in LVF mode the last time it was turned off..

Still pretty poor from Panasonic, I am almost certain my G2 or GH2 didn't behave like this and 100% the em5 didn't.. It is a shame as to me and everyone who tried it at work, mostly canon and nikon shooters (though few looking at u43), it is a ridiculous situation as most DSLR converts would want to use the camera like this.. Not to mention how easy it would be to fix in firmware, will try emailing Panasonic support but doubt it will get me far, such a simple to fix problem :-/

6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    One of the DISP views covers the entire screen with various camera settings, no view through the lens. That one.

I'm a DSLR convert. I don't feel any such need to replicate the past. I bought the camera to work in new ways, not old ones. But I know you are right: others have wished as you do. There should have been seven display options, not the six we got. Maybe eight. Or nine.

7. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    So if you like framing shots with the rear LCD why have an EVF at all? it would probably be OK if the battery wasn't so poor in the gx7...

now now no need to resort to ad hominem.. I am not asking for a new display mode it is already an existing one, the problem is the camera is unable to remember the display mode you like when you turn it off and back on again, it resets every time which is silly..

8. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes I wish it remembered it. Strangely, it remembers all of the other five DISP modes, just not the blank one. Maybe not to cause panic among owners: "OMG my monitor is broken!" when turning on the camera. But personally, I wish it remembered the blank one just like the others. Just like you do. :biggrin:

9. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    you're right, now I understand what you mean by leaving on the one before the blank one, that all makes sense now ;-)

Sorry I didn't notice of the six modes only one isn't remembered.. :eek:

As you say maybe they did it intentionally so new users didn't complain, but still very weird.. Makes it easier to email them about and explain though, I did get a really good response from Olympus once and they fixed the annoyance I reported in the next firmware of the em5 (after forwarding my request to Japan), not sure if Panasonic customer service is so good? or whether you are right and they want it that way..

For now will go with your suggestion as at least that second last mode reminds you of your settings before you start shooting, somewhat useful, I just don't like leaving the back LCD on as I am have trouble getting through a shoot on one battery (still waiting on backup battery to arrive)... Thanks..

• Like Like x 1
  10. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    This drives me crazy too... The blank-screen display mode tip's a useful one though, thanks for that!