Help with focus technique for GX1

vtsteevo

Mu-43 Regular
Hey guys,
I am using the GX1 with the PL 25mm. I like to shoot wide open, but sometimes I am just having the toughest time focusing on fast moving subjects indoors, like my 11 month old who craws around.

Yesterday I attempted to take a few shots of him sliding down a short 5 foot slide. I was just a few feet from the slide and proceeded to snap away (burst mode) as he started to slide down. Only the first shot when he was at the top came out. My goal was to have the camera quickly refocus on him as he slides down. Is this too much to ask from the AF mechanism, or do I need to adjust my technique?

Here are the modes I used:

AF MODE + FOCUS MODE
  • Face Detection + AF Single
  • AF Tracking + AF Continuous

Should I be focusing on the middle of the slide instead where I expect him to be?
Or should I use the 1 point AF mode instead?

See attached pic where the focus is on his back right leg instead of face.

Thanks guys, I am eager to learn the right way to do this.

Attachments

• P1130021.jpg
    P1130021.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 163

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
AFC with Center point or AFC-Tracking are going to be your best bets, but the GX1 or G5 just aren't fast enough for those situations. I just got a Nikon J1 and it seems up to slide duty.

vtsteevo

Mu-43 Regular
I'll try Center point with AFC and AFC Tracking and will report back.

nsd20463

Mu-43 Regular
There's one more detail to check: you said you used burst mode and only the first photo was focused. That makes me think you may have used the high speed burst, which does not refocus between each shot. If so do change the setting to the low speed burst.

Myself I would advise you to try low speed burst + AFS with either a single focus point (box really), or maybe face detect mode if the kid keeps his face visible. AFS might be fast enough, especially near the top of the slide.

Simone

Mu-43 Regular
Use a manual focus lens and try the rotation before to shot a burst. :)
Better: focus the start position and during the downfall move back at the same speed. :))

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
Shooting wide open with a lens like the Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f1.4 is not a great way to go if you have a lot of motion going on with what you're trying to photograph. Depth of field can easily be "razor" thin depending on your working distance. Part of "learning the lens" is becoming very familiar with the relationship between depth of field, working distance, and sometimes even subject to background elements distance. And you really need to do this for each lens you have and will be using.

I have that 25mm lens (and love it!), for what you want to do (capturing the kid going down the slide) you'll likely get better shots (with more important details in focus) at f5.6 or even f8 or f11. At 5.6 and working close in you'll still get a somewhat unsharp background but that may not be as important as getting enough sharp detail on the kid.

The wide open shallow depth of field look is better reserved for portait and even then you can find that focused on one eye, the other may not be in focus. But where this lens really shines is in low light work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom