1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help with focus bracketing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ale, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Ale

Ale Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 14, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I read the manual but still don't get how to set up my om-d e-m10 mark II.
    I understand about setting the number of photos and the focus differential. But how does this function work? Will focus begin by the focus point I select? And then, will it focus further or near it? How many pictures do I need to take?
    I'm going to shoot some landscape photos and I would like to bracket some pictures. Advise is welcome.
    Thank you
    A

• Like Like x 1
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Focus on the nearest point you want. The photos will then focus further and further away.
    Take as many as you want. 8 is a good number to start with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2018

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Antonio Correia

Antonio Correia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 19, 2016
    Setubal - Portugal
    I was not aware of this fantastic feature ! Thank you for pointing to it ! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  5. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Regular

I like the feature very much. You have to experiment with the focus differential to determine if the focal increments chosen will completely encompass your target. It takes your first focal point and focuses incrementally back from there. I have been able to hand-hold up to 25 shots, but that's about my limit. I suggest you experiment as much as you can. How much will be in focus is dependent upon the "depth" of your target. I have used 5, and it may not get all of the hairs on a butterfly. Sometimes 3 is too shallow and will not cover the subject completely. Experiment and enjoy! BTW - I like this guy's videos. He's no-nonsense and very detailed with what he educates you on. He's not the most dynamic host, but I still like his videos! Thumbs up on him from me!

• Like Like x 1
  6. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    He has some other tutorials on his page that I will look at as well

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I much prefer his style than the salesmen’s.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Top Veteran

Note there is a difference between "focus bracketing," with which you can get up to 999 images between front and back focus, to be stacked in external software, and "focus stacking," which automagically stacks a smaller number (16?) in-camera, and delivers a single JPEG image.

9. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    It’s 8 images.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    With focus stacking, the first image is where you focused, then there are two images taken closer and then 5 images taken further away, making 8 in total.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Regular

That's why I prefer focus bracketing. At least you know where you start and where the "in focus" area will be. With focus stacking, to me, it seemed like you had to guess where the focal area would start and end. I prefer the control offered by focus bracketing along with the ability to use RAW files. Plus, when you get down to butterfly hairs, 8 images may not be enough. Just my opinion - Jonny

• Like Like x 1
  12. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I agree. But focus stacking does work well in many cases, and doesn't need the work on the computer later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    In my experience, the couple of times that I tried stacking, the final image was always cropped a little. Didn’t try to figure out why, since I shoot raw, but is was weird. Was I th only one?

14. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    That is normal. If you are going to use focus bracketing or stacking, always allow for losing the edges when framing the photo. The system has to allow for alignment issues, and image size changes during focus changes.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    When I do it manually, it is never an issue

16. mike3996

mike3996 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2018
    Finland
    Yeah I believe it must be a pain to get all shots aligned with all the focus breathing stills photography -oriented lenses exhibit.

17. If you're set to RAW and LSF can it work fast enough?

18. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Regular

I was actually shocked at how easy it was. I hand held shots at about 150mm, which was challenging, and at 60mm , which was easy. I used Helicon Focus, and I liked the program. Sure you have artifacts, but that's part of the process. You learn what will create artifacts and attempt to avoid those situations. IMO, the image seems to loose depth. I posted butterfly shots here that seem to lack that "depth" cause by depth of field. I love the focus bracketing feature, and it's one of the reasons I really like my EM1 MkII, or any Olympus with this feature. I recommend trying it. I was a bit scared at first regarding the technology, but it was super easy.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RR Jonny

RR Jonny Mu-43 Regular

Just so you know - Rob also does a video about focus bracketing with flash!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Mu-43 Regular

Tried bracketing today, 11 frames, interval 5, combined in Picolay. First frame & stack shown.

P2170001.
    E-M5MarkII    OLYMPUS M.30mm F3.5 Macro    30mm    f/4.0    1/10s    ISO 1600

pepper.

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.