Help with Flash Photography (Olympus FL-600R)

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by tubedriver, Sep 3, 2012.

1. tubedriver

tubedriver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Shaun
    Hi Everyone,

Although I have been photographing for a few years now, I have never really used a flash.

I recently purchased the Olympus FL-600R (to go with my EM-5) and some books to help in understanding flash photography. I have found a book called "Understanding Flash Photography" by Bryan Peterson to be particularly helpful. Although I am finding it hard to translate what he talks about (manual flash techniques, TTL etc) on to this Olympus Flash. He refers to Canon and Nikon flashes and I am finding the Olympus manual that came with the flash particularly frustrating and hard to understand. :confused: 

Has this area been covered here before or does anyone know of any websites or sources of information that I can refer to?

Kind Regards

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I would also welcome some advice on this subject as it also a bit of a mystery to me too
    All this 1st curtain etc ?
    Rob

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Start here. It is one of the best resources available.

• Like Like x 3
  4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i just finished reading this book for a refresher, too!

what he is basically saying is:
    Aperture = controls the power based on subject distance
    Shutter = controls how much ambient light is being recorded.

He goes into some things for consideration like DOF. If you want to maintain a specific DOF, the subject distance might not be practical so a flash with a power-subdivision will help. Or things like increasing the shutter speed to underexpose some of the highlights. IIRC, it's about 3-4 stops that he recommends.

Having said all that, it really just takes lots of practice and lots of wasted batteries to master flash especially on a non-studio setting.

Good luck! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.