Help with filter thread/holder

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TNcasual, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I acquired some drop in type filters. I couple will fit my Leica Summicron-R 50mm lens with a screw in filter holder just fine. The others are too large for the Summicron. I think that they would fit on my Leica Elmarit-R 28mm with the same time of screw in filter holder. The problem is I am not sure what filter size the lens is. How do you measure filter size? Using a small ruler it seems to be either 48 or 49mm. Searching online I only see reference to the filter size being 55mm. It is clearly not 55mm. I have a 55mm filter holder that is much to large for the lens.

Am I measuring the wrong thing? Does anyone have a good website for Leica R lens information?

Thanks.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I believe it's a Series 7 filter size (50.8 mm),the best bet would be using a step up ring to a suitable size.

Edit: also known as 2 inch, fwiw.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    According to this site a Series 7 has a 2 1/8 inch (54mm) retaining thread. That is too large for this lens.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The thread on the lens will be 50.8mm, the retaining ring to hold the filter in the holder is 54mm.

5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Well I guess is there is only one way to find out.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Do you have the hood for it?
    The series 7 filter should go infront of the lens (kind of inside the hood) and the hood acts as the retaining ring. (It will probably still accept a filter holder and retaining ring on the threads on the front without the hood however).

The later versions switched to a standard 55mm filter (which is where that number comes from).

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I do have a hood. The filters are slightly too small to be held in place by the hood. They may just not be usable on the lens.