Help with filter thread/holder

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TNcasual, Feb 4, 2016.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I acquired some drop in type filters. I couple will fit my Leica Summicron-R 50mm lens with a screw in filter holder just fine. The others are too large for the Summicron. I think that they would fit on my Leica Elmarit-R 28mm with the same time of screw in filter holder. The problem is I am not sure what filter size the lens is. How do you measure filter size? Using a small ruler it seems to be either 48 or 49mm. Searching online I only see reference to the filter size being 55mm. It is clearly not 55mm. I have a 55mm filter holder that is much to large for the lens.

Am I measuring the wrong thing? Does anyone have a good website for Leica R lens information?

Thanks.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I believe it's a Series 7 filter size (50.8 mm),the best bet would be using a step up ring to a suitable size.

Edit: also known as 2 inch, fwiw.

3. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    According to this site a Series 7 has a 2 1/8 inch (54mm) retaining thread. That is too large for this lens.

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The thread on the lens will be 50.8mm, the retaining ring to hold the filter in the holder is 54mm.

5. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Well I guess is there is only one way to find out.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Do you have the hood for it?
    The series 7 filter should go infront of the lens (kind of inside the hood) and the hood acts as the retaining ring. (It will probably still accept a filter holder and retaining ring on the threads on the front without the hood however).

The later versions switched to a standard 55mm filter (which is where that number comes from).

7. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I do have a hood. The filters are slightly too small to be held in place by the hood. They may just not be usable on the lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.