Help with EM1 Image Stabilization

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by riverr02, Feb 3, 2014.

1. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Hello everyone. A couple of nights ago I purchased an EM-1. Didn't really need it, as the EM-5 has been great, but I'd like to have access to more physical buttons to control the camera, I appreciate the extra grip, and I thought the larger viewfinder would be useful.

So I was testing it out the other night having just taken it out of the box with the Oly 75, when I noticed a difference between the IS on the EM-1 and on my EM-5. On the EM-5, when I depress the focus button halfway to initiate focus and thereby start the use of IS, it works flawlessly and when I release the focus button the IS stops immediately, with a little shudder in the image in the viewfinder as the IS shuts off. On the EM-1, I can visibly see the IS start up, it successfully stabilizes the image, but- and here's what gets me- when I release the shutter from its halfway press, the IS continues for about a second or so. For the folks who've got an EM-1, is this normal? Do you also notice that the image in the viewfinder "stutters" for lack of a better word back to its non-stabilized state a little bit more than on the EM-5. If everyone's experience is different, then I would consider exchanging it.

I tried this with my 12-35 utilizing the zoom's IS- no issues there. I also tried it with the P25 1.4 and I didn't notice it as much, perhaps because of the difference in the focal length.

Thanks in advance.
  2. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    As far as I know, it's normal function of the E-M1's IBIS.

I have also been carefully checking to be sure my IBIS is working as it should.. sometimes I felt like it isn't stabilized as much as I imagine it should be, so I would focus and see how hard it is to hold steady on a specific point with and without half-shutter press to utilize the IS.

The start time on the IS is pretty much immediate, but releasing the shutter button to deactivate IS does seem to take about a second or two.

For reference, I've tried on my Pany 25mm f/1.4, Oly 12-40mm f/f2.8 & 75mm f/1.8. For me, same results and the IS seems to turn on and off the same way.
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Yup...that's exactly how my E-M1 works too.
    It has additional heuristics programmed in to let the IBIS run slightly after exposure.

I'm not sure why they do it differently on the E-M1.
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Same on my EM1, it was a little weird at first but now I'm used to it. I imagine they changed it so you can quickly let go of the shutter release and refocus on something else without having the IBIS cycle off and back on. Probably helps with longer lenses.
  5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Thanks everyone- appreciate the responses. Good to know it's not an issue with the IS system.