1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help with Canon AE-1 lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by silver92b, Feb 8, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I picked up a Canon AE=1 camera with 2 lenses. I think the body might be non-functional, but the lenses might be OK. What adapter do I need to purchase to use these lenses with my OM-D?

Thanks!

canon1.

canon2.

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  3. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA

Thanks, I just ordered one from Amazon (a different brand). However, I read in the reviews that it seems to not work in some Oly cameras. Apparently you have to go in the menu and choose "shoot without lens" option.. Of course, that was not for the OM-D M-5..... They did not talk about that camera.

Oh yeah, by the time I pay for the adapter, I have spent about $56 for the 2 lenses. I hope the lenses work...

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You got it backwards. That's for Panasonic bodies, not Olympus bodies. :) All Olympus bodies will work with legacy glass without using any special "tricks".

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Correct! Just mount the lens and switch to manual or aperture priority mode.

This is one of the reasons why I went Olympus over Panasonic. The other reasons are because of Olympus' excellent JPEG engine and in body stabilizer{which can be used for adapted lenses but you do have to go into the menu to set it}.

That Canon 50mm is fairly sharp but has very ugly bokeh! The iris is 5 bladed and except when fully open the bokeh is nasty. The Minolta 45mm has the same problem. Never heard of Starblitz before but it is one of the many 70s-90s aftermarket lenses. It might be OK but you would be better off to get a m4/3 tele zoom.

6. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    As has been pointed out, this is a Panasonic thing. The Oly will just work.

Actually even on the Panasonic you just need to set this menu option once and it'll remember it until you do a factory reset (at least on my G3).

7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    As to the AE-1, it might just need a battery. The door is on the front. The AE-1 is the first microprocessor controlled camera. I have one with a marginal battery that lets me get a shot or three off before it stops working. I stacked four LR44 batteries I happened to have in there and it works fine. I'll pick up a replacement 4LR44 (or PX28) for it soon.

8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I do have native MFT zooms, I just like to play with lenses :wink:

I just played with the body, it seems to work :smile:

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Just for the record, the Panny cameras default to a "safety" mode that prevents the camera from firing when a lens is not mounted properly. It's a nice feature. It must be disabled, however, when using legacy lenses with an adapter or any native lens that lacks the usual electronic interface. Once disabled it will stay disabled until specifically re-enabled or you do a factory reset. Panasonic is not the only brand to provide this feature, BTW.

Also, it should be noted that the OP's camera is NOT an "AE-1". It is, instead, a noticeably later model, the "AE-1 Program" (aka "AE-1p").

• Like Like x 1
  10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for pointing this out. Do you think this makes a difference in the lenses? I mean, are lenses which came with the camera going to work with the OM-D?
    I did notice when I had the 50mm lens out, I was not able to make the aperture change. When the lens is mounted to the body, it's open wide, and as I'm removing it from the body, it will close to the smallest aperture (tiny) and then as it's removed, it goes to a small/medium aperture... Any ideas?

Thanks

11. phigmov

Apr 4, 2010
    Canon FD lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The FD mount was used from '71 to '87 according to Wikipedia - the model of camera you have is definitely listed as using this mount (and its on the lens itself). Then the new fangled EOS mount camera & lens system came into being and replaced this mount in Canon-land.

As long as you've got an FD adaptor you should be fine.

12. WILLJ8765

WILLJ8765 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    The aperture on Canon FD lenses will not work when the lens is not attached. The adapter most likely will have a moveable ring that says Open and Locked. Before attaching the lens to the adapter, set it in the Open position. Then attach the lens to the adapter. Next rotate the adapter ring to the Locked position. Then the aperture control on the lens should function. You can rotate the ring to Locked before or after mounting the adapter to the camera. I suppose you should return the adapter to the Open position before removing the lens from the adapter, but I often forget and I haven't damaged anything yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Got my adapter in the mail and tried the lenses. At first glance, I was pretty impressed by the 50mm 1.8 and actually, the Starblitz 80-200 zoom seemed to do OK. However, after taking more photos today, I'm beginning to think that they might not be as good as I first thought... Still, it's fun to play with them. maybe I just need to improve my technique and camera settings...

I took this photo with the 50mm. Hand held, low ambient light

dancersculpture.

Here is the camera with the lenses mounted:

canon50.

starblitz.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those are all beautiful photos! Those lenses look so natural on the OM-D.

I'm not sure if this needs to be mentioned anymore, but just a small correction just in case... With a manual lens, Program Mode becomes your Aperture Priority while Manual remains Manual.

• Like Like x 2
  15. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I am learning more and more things about the OM-D. It's amazing how many settings and options there are. BTW, the photos of the camera were shot with my old Nikon D60 :)

16. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I quite like the 50/1.8. I use it a lot for portraits of my kids. I switched the record button on my epm1 to AF/MF and it works pretty well.

17. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    It makes a difference, and then it doesn't.

The Canon made lenses that were contemporary with the AE-1p were actually slightly different from either of the two earlier variants of the FD mount. The 50mm the OP shows is this newer style.
    • All of the FD variants, along with the earlier FL series, fit the same adapter.
    • The mounting method used by the NewFD is somewhat different than the earlier FD variants and the FL lenses. With the NewFD the whole lens turns and there is a chrome release to allow the lens to be removed. The earlier FD lenses and the FL lenses use a rotating mounting ring and the lens stays stationary. This mounting ring tightens by frictions without any latch. All 3rd party lenses use this earlier method.
    • The NewFD and the previous FD variant have a lock to keep the aperture ring on the read "A" settings ("O" on the FD variants). The original FD variant has just a detent not unlike the various f/stop detents. You have to press the latch to move the f/stop ring for manual f/stop settings.
    • With one exception, the Canon bodies and most accessories that don't support Shutter Priority or Program automations lack the little extra hole and can't mount a lens set to "A" and once successfully mounted the lens can't be accidentally set to the "A" position. The exception was the AT-1 which shared the AE-1's body flange for economy reasons.
    Knowing the difference between the AE-1 and AE-1 Program is only important if you are going to use the body and need to search out help or an instruction manual. When the OP stated that they had put a battery in the camera and it seemed to work I felt is was important to point out the distinction in case the OP was going to use the camera.

BTW, it's possible that a m43>FD adapter may lack the "little extra hole" and prevent the lens from mounting if it's in the "A" mode. If you have difficulty mounting the lens try moving the f/stop ring off of the "A" setting before mounting.

• Like Like x 2
  18. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks a lot! I did experience difficulties mounting and removing the lenses from the adapter. Apparently the Starblitz zoom is made like the earlier FD variants while the "native" 50mm is the later style.

BTW, I was playing around and took a couple of shots of the 50mm 1.8 for comparison purposes.

One shot was with the Starblitz 80-200mm zoom set on "Macro" at 4.5, I did a good bit of pp on the starblitz shot because I did not like the colors. I think the difference was due to the length of exposure and the funky mix of fluorescent & incandescent bulbs as well as the sloooow Starblitz lens.

The other with a 35mm f2.8 Voigtlander (a sweet lens BTW) which I borrowed from a friend. I cropped the Voigt shot to similar size as the Starblitz. I also did some PP to this shot to approximate the changes to the other shot as far as color and contrast.

Anyway, just for fun, here they are:

voigt1.

star.

19. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WOW! you are right it works the same in program as it does in aperture priority. Thanks. That just shows how much better Olympus is for adapted lenses than Panasonic.