Help with camera strap modification.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
I bought this strap and it’s brilliant. Open up the adapters and connect them to upright adapters on your backback (2 QASM upright adapters came with the strap.) when connected to backback straps, it takes weight of your neck and transfer it to shoulders. Really nice with long hikes with 40-150 f2.8 pro and EM1 Not any more around your neck.
https://www.frogpro.it/product/camera-enhanced-slings-kit/

Well then, here comes the problem. When I use just the strap and, The strap is really rough (mil-spec webbing) and while I like it’s durability, it’s like having a cheese grater around your neck, or sandpaper. So question is, which would be the best material to sew inside the strap to prevent chafe? Leather is a one choice but hot humid weather and all that sweat would surely soil the leather?

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Velvet or suede?

If you want some material that is both sweat and soil resistant, I'm afraid you'll have to be your own inventor....
Well eiher would do. Suede might be it. Which is the most comfortable will do.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One thought if you want to try out some material without modifying your strap yet is to look into "seat-belt cushions". They come in a variety of widths and materials but might be an easy way to try stuff out without sewing it on and then subsequently having to cut it off it it doesn't work out.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thought if you want to try out some material without modifying your strap yet is to look into "seat-belt cushions". They come in a variety of widths and materials but might be an easy way to try stuff out without sewing it on and then subsequently having to cut it off it it doesn't work out.
Well Googled them and what a great idea, amazon is full of them. I might order1 or 2 different and try them oit. Seatbelt ones were too long but messenger bag cushions were just about right.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Complain to the manufacturer and see what they say. From their photo, it is pretty easy to change out the neck section completely.

If I were doing it I would try making a tubular pad and sliding it onto the neck strap. That way you are not committing to a material until you have tested it. Neoprene "wet suit" material might be a candidate to try.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another thought: I have some tubular 1" nylon webbing around. I has a nice "hand" and is much softer than any of the flat webbing I have. I think this is it: https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Tubular_c_340.html

If you poke around the Seattle Fabrics web site you will find lots of webbing and, possibly, other options. A phone call for advice might get you some good ideas, too.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom