Help with aspect ratios

paulkbiba

Mu-43 Rookie
I've been around photography for a long time, but I've never had to deal with this before - aspect ratios. Does anyone know what these ratios are used for on my EPL1:

4:3
3:2
16:9
6:6

I try to shoot all my images at full frame for printing, so that I have to crop as little as possible. Which ratio will give me the best match to standard size printing papers?

Thanks much.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
4:3 is the new standard. If you shoot in Raw, then the aspect ration will look like 3:2 on the screen for example. The raw image will still be in 4:3. That's full sensor.

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
yeah keep in mind 4:3 is the only true aspec ratio the (current) olympus's support. All other ratios are just crops off the 4:3 image. I believe, for the best quality, you should always just shoot 4:3, if you want another ratio then just crop it afterwards to fit what ever you want.

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been around photography for a long time, but I've never had to deal with this before - aspect ratios. Does anyone know what these ratios are used for on my EPL1
Historically there have been several formats like 35mm format, medium format and large format to mention the most important ones. 35mm format has always had the aspect ratio 3:2, while for medium format and large format aspect ratios such as 4:3, 5:4, 6:7 and 1:1 are very common. The native aspect ratio of the Olympus E-PL1 is 4:3.

Today we can choose the aspect ratio on some cameras, which can be very interesting, because there is no single aspect ratio which is best for all subjects we want to photograph.

photo owl

Mu-43 Rookie
generally there is no single match to 'standard sized printing papers' because there are so many sizes!

4:3 is a match to 8x6, 12x9, 16x12 20x15

none of the 'supported' aspect ratios is a match for 10x8 which was common to MF in the 'old days'!

the advice to just shoot in 43 and take it from there is certainly the most sound - unless you just want to print loads of 6x4s...in which case 3:2 is your friend.

one of the biggest drives to this option is for TV or LCD display purposes - when you just want to plug the camera into a display and show the output direct. Hence 16-9. This falls over a bit if you turn the camera to shoot in portrait !

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom