1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help with aspect ratios

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by paulkbiba, Aug 6, 2010.

1. paulkbiba

paulkbiba Mu-43 Rookie

I've been around photography for a long time, but I've never had to deal with this before - aspect ratios. Does anyone know what these ratios are used for on my EPL1:

4:3
    3:2
    16:9
    6:6

I try to shoot all my images at full frame for printing, so that I have to crop as little as possible. Which ratio will give me the best match to standard size printing papers?

Thanks much.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    4:3 is the new standard. If you shoot in Raw, then the aspect ration will look like 3:2 on the screen for example. The raw image will still be in 4:3. That's full sensor.

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    yeah keep in mind 4:3 is the only true aspec ratio the (current) olympus's support. All other ratios are just crops off the 4:3 image. I believe, for the best quality, you should always just shoot 4:3, if you want another ratio then just crop it afterwards to fit what ever you want.

4. GaryInOz

GaryInOz Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2010
    Sydney, Oz
  5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Historically there have been several formats like 35mm format, medium format and large format to mention the most important ones. 35mm format has always had the aspect ratio 3:2, while for medium format and large format aspect ratios such as 4:3, 5:4, 6:7 and 1:1 are very common. The native aspect ratio of the Olympus E-PL1 is 4:3.

Today we can choose the aspect ratio on some cameras, which can be very interesting, because there is no single aspect ratio which is best for all subjects we want to photograph.

6. photo owl

photo owl Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2010
    generally there is no single match to 'standard sized printing papers' because there are so many sizes!

4:3 is a match to 8x6, 12x9, 16x12 20x15

none of the 'supported' aspect ratios is a match for 10x8 which was common to MF in the 'old days'!

the advice to just shoot in 43 and take it from there is certainly the most sound - unless you just want to print loads of 6x4s...in which case 3:2 is your friend.

one of the biggest drives to this option is for TV or LCD display purposes - when you just want to plug the camera into a display and show the output direct. Hence 16-9. This falls over a bit if you turn the camera to shoot in portrait !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.