1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help with "ARCA" plates please

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by m1pui, Feb 28, 2013.

1. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I've just bought a Peak Design Capture and the Micro-Plate to go with it.

Can anyone tell me if there are any affordable/entryish level tripods that have a compatible head?

And/Or am I correct in interpreting the description of this, where I could buy it and use it to make my current tripods compatible? Kirk QRC-1.75 Quick Release Clamp 1.75 inch (QRC-1.75) - Wex Photographic

Thanks for helping a confused man :confused: lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good question, I ordered the same plate from Peak (in a bundle with the Leash/Cuff) so I'll have to figure out the same thing.

Did you see their tripod compatibility page?

https://peakdesignltd.com/tips/tripod/

There's a pretty good range and list of tripods that are known to be compatible and they offer a bunch of tips on what to look for (and avoid).

• Like Like x 1
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    You can add this clamp to just about any ball head with a standard camera mounting plate. I did that for a while, and then I finally sold it and purchased a ball head with an Arca-Swiss-compatible clamp. Photo Clam makes some really nice quality ball heads as does Markins, Kirk, RRS, and other companies.

When I moved from DSLR to mu43, I no longer needed my heavy-duty Photo Clam ball head with friction control, so I sold that. I'm now using a Sirui T-005 travel tripod that comes with a really nice C-10 ball head. (I don't use the plate, because I use plates made to fit my cameras.) This tripod comes in a carbon fiber version, too, the T-025.

Sirui makes heavier duty tripods if the ones I mention are not sufficient for your needs. And of course, I'm sure others have favorites they'll soon mention. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    The Benro Mefoto lineup is affordable, compact, they accept Arca-Swiss plates, and I think they're a good size for the m4/3 system. I spent about 45 minutes at Pictureline in Salt Lake playing with their Mefoto tripods and I was pretty impressed, but in the end I went with the Gitzo and RRS combo. It was just personal preference, nothing really wrong with the Mefoto, I was simply willing to pay more for ultimate lightness after years of punishing myself by hiking with a heavy Manfrotto combo.

Link to Mefoto website

-Nate

• Like Like x 1
  5. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Without beating around the bush, no I didn't see it! lol

It is quite a handy page that.

I only ordered the Cuff and MicroPlate from them. I fortunately managed to pick up a used Capture from eBay (the only one listed in fact!) for £40. I was going to order the Capture from them, but by the time I'd added international delivery & potential customs fees it would've been the more expensive than buying it from a UK distributor. On paper, it's one of those "will I use it or will it end up in a drawer" items, so the £60 tag put me off slightly.

The Cuff is a great accessory though, the anchor system is pretty nifty and it feels nice and secure in use. Also quite comfortable with a GX-1 attached :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uberkul

Uberkul Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 15, 2012
    Wilseyville, CA
    Brad
    Another :thumbup: for the Mefoto. I have one as a light travel tripod with the M4/3 set up. It is an excellent value for legs and ball-head set up. Not the sturdiest legs in the world but a great compromise of price, weight and stability.

7. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Thanks, am having a nice little e-window shop at all the suggested tripods :) I don't really need anything heavy duty. I've got a couple of heavy (albeit cheap) Manfrotto tripods which are sufficient for when I need them.

If I do get one of these ARCA compatible ones, I'm looking at something lightweight for travel/holidays. I currently use a Slik tripod for this. I think it's the Sprint Mini II.

EDIT: Does the fixed vertical pole do the job or is it a bit shaky? Not thinking in hight winds or anything, but looks like it might be susceptible to vibration, etc.

Annoyingly, those MeFOTO tripods aren't for sale anywhere in the UK. Don't fancy taking my chances with customs charges :lol:

8. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    You CAN get them in the UK, via Amazon, here is a link to the Red one
    Benro MeFoto Travel Tripod Kit A0350Q0R: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sold by Smart Shop UK, but fulfilled by Amazon, so their shipping terms, etc.

But £139, not $139 Grrrrrr :mad:

9. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Yeah I stumbled across that after I made my post :( the price is a bit galling when the Sirui ones are closing on half the price. Even the carbon version is cheaper than the mefoto.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I looked at both the MeFoto and the Sirui and they're very close in price here in the US (or they were when I was buying). I went with the Sirui because it folds a little smaller, has three leg positions instead of two and weighs slightly less. Plus its C10 head has gotten rave reviews. I've been very pleased with both tripod and head, and the head is every bit as nicely made as my previously owned Photo Clam (pretty much a Markins clone). It's much sturdier than the Slik you mention (bought and returned) as well as the much more expensive Giottos MT-8340 carbon fiber tripod I owned previously.

Neither the MeFoto or Sirui are available locally, so I had to purchase sight unseen. I've been very happy with the Sirui and have been quite amazed at how sturdy it is, especially considering its light weight and fixed center column. I'm pretty much a "fair weather" shooter, so I went with the aluminum T-005. If I shot in colder weather, I'd have sprung for the more expensive carbon fiber T-025.

11. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I don't know any physical stores selling them either and the Sirui is looking more tempting. UK prices are;
    Mefoto Backpacker £135-140 depending on colour
    T-005 £61
    T-025 £119

I thought, from looking at the manufacturer specs, the mefoto folded about an inch or 2 smaller? I'm on my iPad so might have my numbers mixed up there.

12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I just checked the specs at B&H to make sure I hadn't remembered incorrectly myself. Folded down (legs reversed so tripod fits in case), the Sirui is 2cm shorter than the MeFoto.

Sirui T-005 5-Section Aluminum Tripod with C-10 Ball BSRT005BK

MeFOTO BackPacker Travel Tripod Kit (Titanium) A0350Q0T B&H

For me, having three leg positions (over two on the MeFoto) is a big selling point.

HTH! :biggrin:

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread. :(

Both are wonderful accompaniments. Perfect for my Billingham 307 with its optional tripod straps; or simply pushed between the bag's handle straps. And reasonable in price.

14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Uh oh, now I have to go look at the Billingham 307. :tongue:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

15. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Sold on a Sirui lol. Only problem now is carbon or metal! I've missed the cut-off time for Amazon to ship it for delivery tomorrow, so I've got about 40 hours to decide :biggrin:

And now there's colour options thrown into the mix lol

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    If I had it to do over again, I'd go for the CF. Not that the aluminium isn't fine, but I'd like the option of shooting in cold weather w/o gloves, and CF is much better in that respect. Then again, I've only wished for the CF once in two years. : wink:

--

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are looking at the Sirui T005/T025, I would STRONGLY suggest that you consider the newer X version of these tripods. The X version allows you to remove the fixed center column. Without that column, these tripods should be much more sturdy, and would be a whole lot safer with a heavy load, assuming that you are not extending the legs.

--Ken

18. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Wow, great tip thanks for that. I didn't know they had an X version with the removable column, and I was planning to pick one of these up before our next vacation.

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yeah, I had no idea there's a new version. Removable column would be great!

--

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    B&H has them in stock. The model numbers are T005X and T025X. You just unscrew the center column. This new setup addresses one of the weak spots of this little unit. I just purchased their C-10 head to use with a Novoflex BasicBall. For its size and price, it seems like a nice little ballhead. And I especially like that it has a separate pan control knob, and that the accompanying plate has three screw channels so you can mount it accordingly on a camera without having to obstruct the batter/SD compartment. I would have purchased the T005X for tabletop use, but the Novoflex seems a bit more compact and stable, and whatever I purchased might also have to hold my D300 if my main tripod is not with me.

Good luck,

--Ken