Help with Adapted Lenses and Focal Length settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jumbotron, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I haven't been shooting for long with my EP1 and EPLS, but have been experimenting with some legacy lenses in addition to the kit 14-42 and Lumix 14 and 20mm lenses.

I thought everything was going along smoothly until I found a Youtube video where someone mounted up an OM 50mm f1.8 and mentioned something about going through the menu and setting focal length for the lens that is mounted - which is something I've never done or even heard about, so I dug a bit more and found the "A How-To Guide to using Adapted Lenses" thread here in the Adapted Lens forum and think I've opened up a can of confusing whoopass for myself.

Can I get some advice and direction to help get me back on course?

1) I was shooting in Aperture Priority and set the focal length to. 50mm for my Jupiter 8 - so do I need to set-it back to default when I put use my 14-42? or does it reset automatically?

2) Is there an easier way to set the focal distance - presets? or quick menus I can program or set-up?

3) Do I need to set the focal length for my Panasonic 14 or 20? or does the camera sense those lenses automatically?

4) If the body doesn't sense the Panasonic lenses automatically - what do I set for my adapter mounted Zuiko Digited ED 40-150mm? Do I set the minimum or the maximum?

5) Any idea what the default was before I changed it to 50?

Any recommend links for me to set-up my PENs for legacy glass? Thanks for any input or advice - this got really confusing for me - really quickly.

Thanks, Jim

• Like Like x 1
  2. Whenever the lens can communicate the focal length to the camera body (all native m4/3 and adapted 4/3 lenses) the camera body will adopt this focal length to control the IS mechanism. When the focal length information is not available it will use the focal length that has been set in the menu. I've no idea what the factory default setting was.

3. jeanba3000

jeanba3000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paris, France
    Manual focal length setting in IS menu is only for lenses that don't communicate with the camera, like adapted legacy lenses.

Native lenses and modern adapted lenses (like 4/3 lenses on ยต4/3) communicate with the camera, IS "knows" the focal length and doesn't use the value of the manual setting, so you don't need to set it back to a default value.

4. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Thanks for the reply and info. I really appreciate it. Any guidelines in Image Stabilization settings for adapted lenses or just run with the default IS1?