1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help with a Hard drive Upgrade on an external storge device.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RDM, Nov 30, 2015.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello there my tech savy, site friends. So recently I decided that I should get another external storage device, and i thought the best time to buy would be this Cyber Monday. However I just realised that insted of adding to my desk items, that I could just swap out the internal HD of one of the 2 devices that I have. Then as wend to get one of them I realised that I have actually have 3 external drives or 2 notbooks that can be upgraded.
    Now I am not up on all the compatability of drives so, I was hoping I could get some help here.
    Now I'm not compleatly computer hardware illiterate. In fact, I use to build systems for myself and friends , and even a company that I use to work at. However the last time that happened was when Windows XP was the newest OS. So I can to the mechanical work, I even pulled out my old wrist grounding strap.

So I have 3 external hard drives that are practically full and one notebook whos internal drive is nearing full too.

I was just searching online and they got some great deals, but im not sure what I can or should get.

Let me tell you the hardware that I have:

1st - Western Digital Net Center 5105A, MDL: WD1600P019.
    (I think it was a 500GB, and I stoped using it when one day I went to access it and everything was gone and the capacity being displayed was two hundred somthing. Mfg. Said it was probably a HD failure and I was 2 months passed warrenty. )

2nd -Seagate Free Agent Desktop 250GB, P/N: 9NK2AE-500
    (Works fine, it's just 6MB from full)

3rd - Western Digital, My Book, Essential 1.5TB
    (Works fine, it's just 3GB from full)

Current Notebook computer - Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5001
    (Works fine, it's just 7.3GB from full. 250GB drive)

I am going to be moving to another notebook computer. Wich is a
    Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5331.
    It was bought in December 2011 and the box never opened. It was believed stolen, but was found this weekend in the back of a storage closet. My brother just told me about it and is giving it to me.

Sooooo,
    these are some drives that seem like a great price.
    And im not sure if they fit any of my devices.

1) - Priced at $99.99
    Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

• 4TB, SATA 6Gb/s NCQ
    • For desktop or home server use
    • Store active archive data
    • Outfit direct - attached, entry-level external storage devices (DAS)
    • 2 years limited warranty
    2) - Priced at $39.99
    TOSHIBA PH2100U-1I54 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Retail Kit

• Works with Serial ATA enabled notebook computer
    • Read/Write cache for increased performance
    • Internal shock sensor and ramp loading technology to help protect your drive
    3) - Priced at $54.99
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

• Eco-conscious Design, MTTF of 600,000 Hours
    • Advanced Format 512e
    • 3 Gb/sec, 5400RPM
    • 3 years limited warranty

Now I would really love to just upgrade one of my 3 desktop drives, the WD net center is nice because I liked how I could always access it from different devices via wifi on my network, but I understand if I can't, because it's too old. Economically thinking, I would love to be able to put an inexpensive ($100 or less) 3 or 4 TB drive into the My Book, and move its 1.5TB drive to the Net Center, but again, it might be too old.

I wondered if I could get that 4TB Seagate and put it into the Free Agent case.
    Also if can get the Toshiba 1TB drive, and put it into one of the toshibas I have listed. It's real cheep.

Or maby somone seen a more appropriate deal for me.

Anyway, my head is starting to hurt thinking about this. Lol

Somone Help me please.
    and as always , please, and thank you for being nice.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    It's easy to swap out an internal HD. You probaly already know that. However I think you should forget the old slow tech 5400 notebook drives and just get all SSD's. Some pretty good deals out there today. No need for more than 256 or 500. You can move all the data to an external. And external cases are dirt cheap. get USB3

edit: be sure to get the right form factor for the Toshiba.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I would agree with the comment about swapping out your notebook hard drive with a SSD. Neither of the notebooks you have listed is particularly high spec, and replacing the drive would give a significant performance improvement. It probably won't give you extra space, since solid state hard drives are more expensive than standard hard drives. However, if you don't use the CD/DVD drive you could remove that and replace it with a caddy containing a standard hard drive (e.g. 9.5mm Universal SATA 2nd HDD SSD Hard Drive Caddy for CD/DVD-ROM Optical Bay EA - note thare are 9.5mm and 12.7mm versions) and perhaps put the CD/DVD drive in an external USB box if you think you might want it occasionally.

Looking at your external devices, the Western Digital Net Center I believe takes an IDE drive, so you can't put a SATA drive in there. The Seagate and the My Book I believe both take SATA drives, so you could probably upgrade those. However, whether it is cheaper to do so, or just by a whole new external unit, I don't know.

So answering your questions, yes you could probably put a 1Tb 3.5" drive in the seagate case, and you could put the 1Tb drive in the notebook (although I'd be tempted to put it in a caddy along with a SSD as the primary drive).

Given that neither of those notebooks appear to have USB, if you want faster external storage then you want a NAS, i.e. a box with a network port rather than USB.

4. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    They both have USB2 according to specs. Still, a NAS might be quicker given no USB3. However the OP already has external drives. ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Good suggestion. However the edit point seems like your teasing me..lol. What is the right form factor?

Thank you.
    I like the idea of an SSD drive. Seen any for under a hundred?
    Also good idea about the Caddy. I use the DVD drive maybe 4 or 5 times a year..
    So, you saying that the eather of those Toshiba 1TB drives for sale, which I listed, will surely fit the Seagate case that I have?
    So What do you mean about not having usb? Do you mean internal ports? Because they do have external ports .

Also, anyone please, feel free to post a link to a drive onsale that you know will work better for me.
    links that I click on from here also help this site out.

Keep in mind that i dont wand to spend alot of money buying lots od parts. Keeping it all under a hundred would be good, under sixty would be great!

I really like that under forty dollar price on the 1TB Toshiba drive.

6. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    HD's in notebooks come in different sizes and shapes. It depends upon the individual computer. B&H has some deals on SSD's right now. Don't know how they compare but B&H is usually right in there. Any of of these.
    Or this

USB ports on the side or back is where the external drives plug in. You have USB2 which is slower than the newer USB3 protocol. Still works fine though more slowly.
    Here are a few empty HD enclosures rather than to bother switching out the old HD's. I find a "toaster" handy too. The one that I have makes clones as well.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, most external drives are not made to be disassembled... furthermore, external drives are often discounted so much that they can be found cheaper than internal drives.
    WD or Seagate have a 5tb model now, I saw some sales last week but I don't remember the price.

Barry

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Yeah, I saw those but that is a lot of photos to trust to one device...even with a backup

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

So since I Did post what the individual computers were, your saying that, just Like me, you cant figure out which one I should buy ether...lol

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK , thank you all very much for the suggestions.
    So from all the replies that I have read, I can see the Bottom line Is, I guess, that despite all the information I posted, no one here knows for certain if any of the 3 Hard Drives I listed for sale will fit or work on what I have. Or can tell me of any other specific drives that will.
    So since it seems too difficult to figure that out, I should just buy another external drive.
    I guess that's what I will do.

Thank you all for your effort and have a great Holiday season.

11. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    didn't look as it is buried in the Toshiba website. Plug in the model number and download the pdf file. Or you can pay me a "google fee" :)

or just open the case and look.

external drive: how can anyone know but you? you just gotta look at your case with a screwdriver.... or buy a new drive or drive + enclosure as barry13 suggests

12. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    This brought a smile to my face.

I recall 10-12 years ago people posting that they would never trust a CF card bigger then 128MB or a hard disk bigger than 1TB, it's just too many shots to lose.

Then it some how morphed to 256MB but woe betide anyone thinking of using 512MB. Then 1GB, but boy no one could trust the 8GB cards. Then some how 16GB, 32GB (of which I have around 20), 64GB (of which I have 6) and 128GB (not got any yet) have become the norm.

The same goes for HDDs. My first HDD was 5MB (yes, megabytes) and I thought it was huge. Now I think nothing of using 3TB and 4TB drives and was looking earlier this evening at buying a couple of 8TB drives since my NAS is full (4x3TB).

Backups are backups whether they are on 1TB, 4TB or 8TB drives :) Of course, you have to be willing to spin them up (I have a quarterly reminder set to popup) every so often.

I happen to like my dual USB3 dock so that I can swap external drives out in seconds, which means I can have access to all my stored (internal) drives in a matter of seconds and even copy from one to the other curtesy of if being a dual dock (it takes two drives, either 2.5" or 3.5") and writes as fast as USB3 / the drives will take it.

13. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    The $39 internal drive will almost certainly fit either notebook. Given it isn't likely to be any faster than the present internal drive, you could just fit it in a caddy replacing the DVD drive and just use it as data storage, which would make it easier to replace the existing drive with a SSD later.

A couple of SSD options for under $100 (sorry I'm not in the US, so don't know the best places to look)
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX200...c&ie=UTF8&qid=1448922958&sr=1-22&keywords=ssd
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448922958&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd
    You would be lucky to get anything bigger than 250Gb for under $100, but that is fine if you put most of your data elsewhere.

The external seagate case I believe takes a 3.5" SATA drive, so in theory any 3.5" SATA drive should fit. Usually those boxes are just a USB to SATA converter plugged into a standard drive, so provided you can get it apart (pretty sure there is a video on youtube for it) you can replace the drive. If in doubt, suggest pulling it apart before ordering.
    Also there is probably no reason why you couldn't put a 2.5" drive in the external box, if that works out cheaper, you'd just need a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting adapter.

Note that your 4Tb bard HDD as an upgrade is the same price as just buying the HDD in a box:
    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expan...pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448924085&sr=1-6&keywords=4tb

14. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Me too :) that's what I call a "toaster"

edit: Are you in UK? do they call 'em toasters too.

Anyway, I have 6 in my box and 2 external plus an assortment of old backups.

15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would say there is no good reason to upgrade an external hard drive enclosure with a larger drive. THe main reason being that external drives and internal drives cost about the exact same. Sometimes external drives are cheaper. Plus, as has been mentioned, you will be stuck with an old USB 2.0 vs new USB 3.0 or eSATA.

Now typically you CAN replace the drives in the enclosures, but you have to guess as the max capacity and hope the cooling is adequate. Again, not worth it for the near-zero savings.

Just as an example of what I mean by cost savings: Here's a 3TB Fantom USB 3.0 drive for $80: Newegg.com - Cyber Monday Is HERE - We're Bringing Back Black Friday.

Cheapest New 3TB bare drive they have is $75: Newegg.com - Cyber Monday Is HERE - We're Bringing Back Black Friday.

So not worth the effort, much less getting stuck with a slow old enclosure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    ....that might be IDE

17. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Simon
    Bottom line is that most notebook hard drives these days are bog standard 9.5mm thick 2.5" SATA drives. The only specials really are things like ultrabooks, etc, which you don't have.

Either of the 2.5" drives you have listed will fit in either notebook you have. Both notebooks take a 9.5mm thick 2.5" SATA drive, and both will support drives of 1Tb (or larger). The more expensive one seems slightly faster in terms of seek time, but other than that they are pretty much the same. Buy the cheaper one.

Clear enough? :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Upgrade to Cloud and eliminate the hardware. Google and Dropbox has 1 terabyte for $10 a month. Access from about any device anywhere you can make a connection. Any hardware you buy is going to be only as useful as to the vagaries of your other systems.

19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like it for backups, but not for my main copy of my work. But Google drive and Dropbox are pretty expensive, really. Amazon is $60 a year for (nearly) unlimited storage. Microsoft OneDrive is $7 a month for 1TB. For more of the backup oriented plans I paid $4 a month for 2 years of 1TB on eDrive.

20. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    May work for some... if you have a decent connection. I can create it faster than I can push it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1