1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help! Which one? GF5 Or NX1000

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DreamX, Nov 28, 2012.

1. DreamX

DreamX New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    Hi there guys...this is my first post!

I'm moving away from point and shoot cameras and have decided the best move is to go for a micro 4/3 camera...

The two I have in mind are The Panasonic Lumix GF5 and the Sony NX1000...Both have good cashback/gift deals but I can't make my mind up which will be better suited. I just want to know which will give the best quality shots with the standard kit lenses that are included (panny 14-42mm) (sony 20-50mm) I can't seem to find a good comparison online so I would really appreciate any help you guys could give me.

Thanks!

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Assume you are talking about the Samsung NX1000, which is of course, not a m4/3 camera.

If you only planning on using the kit lens, image quality should be slightly better with the larger-sensored Samsung.

That said, there are tons of other factors that should go into the decision like which one handles better to you, what size is best, will better AF speed give you more keepers, etc., etc. I don't think the image quality difference between the cameras is not significant enough to offset these type of use factors.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    If you are absolutely sure you will just use a kit lens, why not consider something like Sony RX100?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The NX1000 kit zoom doesn't have OIS. That just seems obnoxious to me.

5. DreamX

DreamX New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    So what type of camera is the nx1000 if it is not 4/3?

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  7. DreamX

DreamX New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    I'm just after a solid recommendation really...if you had the choice between the two and they were both the same price...which would you choose?

8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I would choose a Panasonic GX1 it is in the same price range but better then GF5.

I do not know the NX1000 but currently the :43: as a family will give you more room to grow then the Samsung. As one of the post above has said the Samsung kit lens does not have OIS. This might limit you in low light shots.

If you want to make the jump to a system camera, they all give you decent cameras.

9. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Get a GX1 - slightly larger then GF5 but is much better in low light. I did a quick AF speed test at BestBuy of the NX1000 and was dissapointed at how slow autofocus was. That was a dealbreaker for me.

10. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    I just got a used GX1 off ebay for $305.. new one is $395 or something like that on Amazon.

11. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll agree with the other poster, you should get a RX100.

I wouldn't get a GF5 or a NX1000. I'll agree with yet another post and say you should get a GX1 instead of either of those. Keep checking Amazon. The last time they had it for "like new" on Amazon, it was well under $300. You can pickup the kit lens for $60-$100.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd second that recommendation as well. The GX1 is better than the GF5 in the important area of image quality and has really no downsides other than being very slightly bigger.

The NX1000 is a decent camera but aside from WiFi it doesn't have much to recommend itself over the GX1 either, while suffering from a slightly awkward interface.

13. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I'd go with a micro 4/3 camera (i.e.: not the Samsung). Reason being is that the whole reason for an ILC camera is the lens choices available to you as well as lens quality and Samsung doesn't appear to compete with micro 4/3 in that category.

Keep in mind, through, that this is a forum for lovers of the micro 4/3 platform and there's some genuine bias happening! If you have access to them, try them both out and make a cost-benefit analysis based on what suits you and get whichever wins out!

14. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    We are not biased, we just think that any other system is crap :smile:

Seriously if you can get the GX1 for 300$ grab it. It is a great camera that can serve you for years.

15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I vote for the GX1 as well.

Just curious, why buy a interchangeable lens camera if you don't want to change lenses?

Look at the Sony RX-100 or the Canon G1X if you want good image quality but don't want to get into lenses.

16. DreamX

DreamX New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    Unfortunately i only have the option of the above 2...i was hoping for someone with experience of both. Perhaps i should go with the panny...as you say it will give me more room to grow and i'm sure the pictures will be much better than that of my old point and shoot.

17. DreamX

DreamX New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    I do want to get into lenses in the future but i will be starting out with the kit lens

18. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Out of this two the GF5 is probably better because of the better kit lens.
    It is a good camera, since you get to system lenses are more important then bodies. As you can see in my signature, I use the P20 which is the first lens in the :43:.

Bodies are cheaper then lenses and the rate of upgrade is faster.

19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If that's the case, I would add another recommendation for a GX1 over the GF5, and the kit 14-42 lens should serve decently to start. If you stay with photography and expand your gear later, the GX1 will give you more room to grow and offer features and functionality you're likely to appreciate. It's a well built camera with good features and the current street prices are an incredible deal.

I looked at the Samsung offerings previously but the main reason to recommend m4/3 over Samsung is the larger ecosystem of gear, accessories and especially lenses. In m4/3 we have the widest selection of lenses in the mirrorless camera world, from multiple different makers (Olympus, Panasonic, Sigma, Rokinon/Samyang). Samsung only has their own lens selection which limits you to what that one maker offers. Again, if you continue to grow in your photography going forward, this will be a big plus.

Last piece of advice I'd offer is plan to eventually pick up at least one fast (large aperture) lens like the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, 25mm f/1.4 or similar to pair with the kit lens as your first 2 lenses. The biggest downfall to the kit lens on either system will be the small minimum aperture which means it will be difficult to take good pictures in low light (e.g. indoors) without flash. A lot of people buy their first DSLR or mirrorless camera with a kit zoom, and are disappointed to find that they have a hard time taking good pictures in low light or indoors. The kit zooms are good for covering a useful focal range, in good light, at a good price. What they won't be able to give you is good light gathering ability and shallow depth of field so you can blur out the background of a photo.

20. Samsung makes some excellent pancake lenses, not so sure about the zooms. I can see myself loving the NX 30/2 pancake just as much as I do the m4/3 25/1.4 Summilux. The second-hand prices on NX gear are pretty sweet; it's possible to get an NX200 + 30/2 lens for LESS than the price of a second-hand Panasonic 20/1.7 lens. I'm not so sure about the NX1000, but the quality of the materials, construction, controls, screen, menus, and interface on the NX200 is seriously impressive.

• Like Like x 1