HELP! Which Nikon adaptor to buy?

JunT86

New to Mu-43

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If it's the one mentioned on Ken Rockwell's site, that looks like it's an F mount, so I would guess the last one. I'm not clear that the first and third ones are different mounts; they may be the same.

(You should wait for a Nikon expert, though, I'm horrifically dated on Nikon knowledge.)

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
I can't comment on any of the three specific ones you show here.

I have a Fotodiox Nikon-m4/3 adapter, which I don't like. It has one fault: It overshoots infinity focus. That means it's probably just a little too long, and I probably lose some of my close-focus distance as well. Being able to see the focus so clearly on the zoomed screen or EVF means it's not a major hassle, but it just makes the whole setup feel more sloppy. None of my other adapters (several also from Fotodiox) do this.

I have just ordered a Metabones Nikon adapter from Lasjas:
https://www.mu-43.com/f45/fs-metabones-m43-adapter-gf1-g1-2909/
It's more expensive, but also seems to be made to better tolerances. I have a Contax G adapter from them, and this is a pretty finicky adapter to make. (The adapter has to provide focus control.) The first one didn't work, but the replacement is really beautiful.

I've been using my AIS glass a lot lately, so when I get the new adapter I'll report my experience with it.

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
I also have Fotodiox adapters that focus beyond infinity, this is by design. I find that mine are .3mm short, so I removed the female mount and added a shim, this took me about an hour to make the shim and fine tune the thickness with a wet stone.

I have some OM super tele's (black) that were made (from the factory) to focus beyond infinity, I believe this is to compensate for thermal expansion on those hot summer days. Thermal expansion would slightly increase the physical length of the lens, therefore changing the infinity index.

Keep in mind, while an adapter may allow the proper infinity focus stop for one particular lens, it may not provide the correct infinity focus stop for a lens of a different focal length due to wear, manufacturing tolerance and temperature.
I have no problem buying the Fotodiox adapters.

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm shooting a lot with Nikkor and Nikkor-mount glass on my G1.
I have 4 adapters, that do the job with variable success :mad::frown:

A simple, cheap chinese one is actually the best : stable fixation even of heavy glass (like my Nikkor 300/2.8) and no problem to focus to infinity. I prefer this one, although it overshoots infinity just a slight little bit, but this is much better than not reaching infinity.

I also bought a Fotodiox Pro adapter, because I was interested by the possibility of fixing the camera/lens combo to the tripod by means of the collar on the adapter. Tests soon showed that infinity could not be reached. My 24/2.0 lens wide open focuses @ 1.37m when adjusted to infinity. Talk about missing infinity !!!

I did file a complaint, and after some discussions, was sent a second one. It's better, but it still doesn't reach infinity with my 24 and 35mm lenses unless I stop down to f8. What's the purpose of owning fast glass if you need to stop down to reach infinity ????

The last one is a Fotodiox Nikon F to 4/3 adapter I bought a long time ago. One needs a 4/3 to µ4/3 adapter to fix Nikkor lenses to the G1 with this one.
However, the mechanism to fix and release the lens was defective, and I had to destroy it completely to be able to remove the lens :mad:

So, my advice ? Buy a cheap chinese one without twinkles and bells !

C U,
Rafael

JunT86

New to Mu-43
Thanks for all your input! I don't plan on buying any more nikon lenses unless I decide to buy a nikon camera which am kinda deciding on either Nikon D7000 or Pentax K-5.

After reading the above replies I decide to buy the cheap adaptor, I had a look at the metabones adaptor and read the quality of it is suppose to be really good but a tad expensive for me at the moment.

zorki1

Mu-43 Regular
Get the first one, it has more screws holding the mount in so it is proably better built.

dko22

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all your input! I don't plan on buying any more nikon lenses unless I decide to buy a nikon camera which am kinda deciding on either Nikon D7000 or Pentax K-5.

After reading the above replies I decide to buy the cheap adaptor, I had a look at the metabones adaptor and read the quality of it is suppose to be really good but a tad expensive for me at the moment.

Recently had the same dilemma though I do have a 105mm 2.5 as well as the 50. In the end decided on the Metabones as I figured that I didn't want to risk some of the known issues with cheaper ones and that the Metabones could at least be resold whereas the really cheap ones have no resale value. Around 65-70 USD is the normal haggle/:43: member price which isn't that bad. And I've found the adaptor to be excellent

Latest threads

Top Bottom