1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Help! What's wrong with my YN-560III?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by twellsphoto, Dec 21, 2014.

1. twellsphoto

twellsphoto New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2014
    Today was my first day to shoot with brand new pair of YN-560IIIs, and a YN-560TX. I had a large session with clients today and the YN-560IIIs performed amazingly. However I went on a dinner break and when I came back to do my next session, I got a handful of shots in and one of my YN-560s began to fire at full power. I checked the 560-TX and it showed the correct setting I was shooting at for each flash, and then I checked the speed light that was firing full power and it was showing 1/64th correctly, but firing 1/1. I power cycled, changed batteries, manually set power, and moved it to a different group but nothing would get it back to firing anything but 1/1. Is it possible that it has gone bad on me? Is there a reset button hidden somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    You can reset the flash by going to advanced settings - hold down 'light' button and 'mode' button at the same time. Then cycle through until you see 'Clr' or 'Clear' (cant remember off hand).

Sounds to me that your flash is broken. Actually all 'speedlites' always shoot at 'full power'. In order to reduce the light that is generated the flash reduces the 'length of time the flash is on' from about 1/500th to 1/20,000th of a second. Sounds like whatever does this has broken. I wouldnt be particularly put off Yongnuo from this experience if I was you. These things happen and I dont think there is a lot of evidence to suggest that Yongnuo flashes are noticeably less reliable than others.

3. twellsphoto

twellsphoto New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2014
    Thank you robbie36, I was able to find the cls setting on the flash after your suggestion, I was unable to get it to fire anything but 1/1 though. I had someone else tell me they've had this issue and YongNuo will do a repair if you pay shipping. I ended up just ordering another one since the price is so reasonable.

4. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Any further issues?