Help! What's Wrong with my Camera/Lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, Aug 6, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I have a PM2 and have been using some Pentax PK and Olympus OM lenses with no issues. Recently I bought Konica Hexanons 135/3.5, 57/1.4, and 40/1.8 and am getting a weird over-exposed band at the bottom of the photos. It's inconsistent but for the most part it happens at F4.0 and below on any of the three lenses. F8, for example, is perfect. The pattern is also inconsistent even if aperture/shutter speed is constant.

It looks like the shutter wasn't closing all the way. So I shot all day today at 3:2 to crop off the problem area. 4:3, however, the problem persisted. Since I was thinking it's the shutter and not the lenses, I came home thinking I'd change the lens and try it but now that I'm home and am still using the Konica lenses, regardless of what shutter speed/ISO/aperture I use I can't replicate the problem. I mean, was my shutter temporarily not closing fully while using higher shutter speeds and now fixed itself? Weird.

Anyone seen this before? How do I remedy it?

2. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Light leak or something strongly reflective in the adapter? My Nikon adapter had very shiny interior that needed some blackening. Even thought about putting in a baffle (the extra large image circle does not help except to make trouble).
  3. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Mu-43 Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Ohio, USA
    I think it might be an adapter issue.

Notice in the third photo that the sign post is offset at the bottom, looks like a reflection off of something. Could there be a piece of tape or a sticker inside the adapter?
  4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  5. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Only thing I can imagine is a reflection from the top of the "sensor opening" inside the camera body. Its the only way it can be horizontal like that.

Or it's some different "only way" :biggrin:
  6. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. I will definitely keep this thread bookmarked. As of now, I can't replicate this problem. It has fixed itself!

So, today I again used the Konica lenses and same adapter. It was the 135/3.5 at the zoo, the 55/3.5 macro around town, and at home I did some test shots of the 57/1.4 (darn thing ain't sharp until f4.0, BTW). I shot 4:3 all day just to make sure, and the problem has not been replicated. The adapter hasn't come off the camera since then either. Weiiirrrrd!

This is over for now. I'll be back if it persists!