Help! What to use for Live Music Event?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MichaelJC, May 30, 2012.

1. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Still awaiting my E-M5 but I've been invited to an album launch party tonight. This kind of thing is way out of my photography comfort zone, but I'd like to try to get some good shots.

Here are my camera/lens options:

1. Olympus E-620 with Sigma 30/1.4. A bit big and bulky but I get the fast aperture and AF. The downside is that I've not used it much so I'm not that familiar with it's quality and I've heard the AF is not so reliable especially in low light.

2. Olympus E-620 with Hexanon 40/1.8 MF. I modded this lens myself and there's just something about the images it produces that I love. MUCH smaller than the Siggy.

3. Panasonic GF3 with 14/2.5 and Sigma 30/2.8. I'm still learning the camera but I think I can find my way around the settings I need. Much smaller package than the above. Fast reliable AF. But are the lenses fast enough and IQ of the GF3 good enough? The Oly has IBS which could be a factor.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A small, compact DSLR with two small primes, and a really compact Micro Four-Thirds camera with two extra small primes. Why not bring them all?

I would mount the GF-3 with the Lumix 14mm f/2.5 and the E-620 with the Hexanon 40mm f/1.8. That will allow you to switch between a wider and a longer view with two cameras at hand and mounted, then if you want you can switch either camera to a 30mm Sigma depending on which other lens you're not using as much.
  3. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Thanks! This made me smile. You know it never even occurred to me to take the lot. I guess I was thinking less like a photographer and more like someone who wants to enjoy the show but hopefully snap a few nice photos too. So I was thinking "what's the minimum I can get away with?", rather than "Can I carry all this and should I throw in another lens just in case?" :)

Having both 14 and 40 at hand would be rather nice though. Hmm...
  4. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    we did have a recent discussion about this very subject.

personally, depending on the available light in the room you'll be working in, i worry that the 14mm 2.5 and 30mm 2.8 will not be fast enough. they also may be too wide, depending on the size of the room and how close you can get to the stage.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the advice and the link. A fast lens was definitely needed in this case as the lighting was pretty subdued. Fortunately the venue was tiny and the 30/1.4 was fine. Shooting at ISO 800 reminded me just what a noisy sensor the E-620 has. I wonder if I would have been better off switching from raw to jpg and letting the camera clean up rather than me doing it in post. Ah well, I did get a few shots that are ok for online viewing. This was my favorite:

<a href="" title="Julia Stone by ╬ťichael, on Flickr">[​IMG]"480" height="640" alt="Julia Stone"></a>