1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help!! what radio trigger to buy for m43

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by zap, Aug 6, 2013.

1. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    i'm planning to try off-camera flash for my olympus pen m43 cameras (might add a secondhand epl5)... what radio triggers have you tried and are happy to recommend?

thx!! :smile:

2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    cactus v... whatever the newest one is. v4? v5?

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have quite a number of Trigmaster Plus 2.4G's that I use. I use them to trigger my Vivitar 285hvs. I can also use them to trigger the shutter on both the OMD and the GH3. Very happy with them. Reliable.

4. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    thx for the replies!! i'll look into them... hopefully they're available here in the uk... :smile:

5. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    The Cactus V5 sync at 1/250

If you don't have any flashes yet it would be worth looking at the YN560III which as the receiver built in. You can currently trigger it with either the RF603 transeiver or the RF602 trigger. BUT .... in the next couple of months they are coming out with a trigger for these flashes that allows you to adjust the flashes from the hot shoe!!!! Really worth thinking about and the flashes are a good price.

Food for thought.

6. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I own the Cactus V5's, they'll sync at 1/1000, and over the length of a football field at that. I will admit that the idea of the Yongnuo that has a built in manual adjustment on the trigger itself is very appealing. I'd really like to see a wireless TTL sync system that lets you do the same but also has TTL ability/adjustment from the camera like the upcomming CoPilot - Qflash Conversion Offer or better yet maybe something from pocketwizard.

7. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    soooo, who cares if the cacti sync at crazy speeds, as the cameras don't. Or is there a hack for that? I'd really like to shoot at something faster than 1/160th or not have to use a filter.

8. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I use the RF 602's with SB26 & SB28 flashes. I just did a job of headshots with a sync speed of 1/200. They won't do 1/250 but for studio work 1/160 or 1/200 is fine. I have just ordered a couple of YN560III flashes because they are easier to adjust power on the flash without having to drop the stand (push button top/bottom or side/side to adjust power directly) hearing that a controlling transmitter is not far away is perfect for my needs as I will then be able to do it all from the camera.

When I need TTL I have 3 dedicated Olympus flashes.

I use manual flashes as my studio lighting as it is portable and as the olympus system allows me to use lower f-stops for the same depth of field this makes them more powerful.

9. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    +1 on the RF602's. I used them with my old Canon kit, and I was happy to find they work beautifully with my new m43 stuff.

10. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The newest m43 will sync at 1/320, something I'm actually looking forward to on the GX7. I always like to take future proofing and upgrade-ability into account when I buy things. /shrug

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    There was some fine print on that.. it'll sync at 1/320 with the built in flash. I believe anything hot shoed is still 1/250.

My vote goes for the RF603... if you're willing to hack it. Standard batteries (over the RF602) and you can trigger the camera remotely AND flash as well (though, I can't quite get 1/250 to sync.. it's a little dark at the top of the frame). Then get the YN560 III's. Not having to fiddle with a dongle type or weak shoe mounted sync is wonderful.

Cactus V5s work too and no hacking. And they have a twist lock to secure to the camera. I just don't like the battery tray design.

12. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I wonder if you could work around the slow flash sync speeds by firing the camera remotely in manual mode but also using the radio signal that fires the camera to fire the flashes... Lemme try it quick.

13. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
  14. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    Olympus states that it sync's at 1/250 but that is not true.

Only sync's at 1/250 with the little flash that came with the camera.
    Syncs at 1/200 with the fl600r on the shoe
    Syncs at 1/160 with the fl50r on the shoe

The EM1 has been said to now sync at 1/320

Wondering about this now due to the advised sync of the EM5 not being quite so true.

15. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Gotta agree the fl600r can only sync @ 1/200 is quite lame

16. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Correct. The specs say (in tiny tiny footnote print) that the GX-7 hotshoe is 1/250s sync.

But if not, the 602s will work. Also, if you're a crazy Canon shooter, the YN-622Cs can work as manual-only triggers. Which is not the point of getting the 622 triggers, but hey, double-duty is always good.

Over the 603s, the 622s have locking rings, and their on/off switch is on the side, not placed exactly where you can't reach it when a flash is mounted. And they use AAs, so you don't have to carry two types of batteries for your triggers and your flashes.

The 603 IIs have been announced, btw, and they're supposed to add locking rings, and improved sync speeds (sometimes, the radio delay loses 1/3 stop of the sync speed). Whether they'll also need to be hacked to work on mft, though, is unknown.

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Hrm, I have not noticed any loss of sync speeds, but I'm usually around 1/160 anyway (as of late). native m43 support would be awesome though.

18. rkris

rkris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    I tried my set of Yongnuo 603N for Nikon, but they do not seem to work with the Oly E-P5. Is there anything I must do in order to make them work?

19. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    My E-M5 syncs perfectly well at 1/250th with the Cactus V5, thank you.

+1 for the V5, have their issues (large, fairly stupid battery compartment) but overall very good, esp. for the money.

20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. You have to hack a 603C for Canon and short a signal between two of the TTL pins to make a permanent Tx unit. You can probably do it with a 603N, but it would probably be a different contact you'd have to short from. You'll have to google that up on your own. This hack makes a permanent Tx (transmitter) unit.

The reason you want a 603C is because the pin layout of Canon's hotshoe has identically placed contacts/pins with micro four-thirds (only Canon has one additional pin). Nikon's is offset a little, so you can't fully seat the 603N on an mft hotshoe and make the correct contact, you have to slide the unit back a little bit.

The problem here is that the 603 triggers use a TTL pin signal to sense whether the unit is on a flash or on a camera to auto switch the mode of the unit to be Rx (receiver) or Tx (transmitter). And that pin signal is on a different pin from brand to brand, since everybody's TTL schemes are propriety and don't have a standard. The 602s get around this by having dedicated Rx/Tx units. And the Cactus V5s have a physical Rx/Tx switch.

This particular feature/bug probably also keeps the 603 from firing from the test button in-hand.

I gather Yongnuo realized this drawback and changed the Tx/Rx sensing with the YN-622C design, since my 622s work fine as manual only triggers on mft.

• Like Like x 1