Help wanted from EM5-II users please?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by snerkler, Mar 16, 2015.

1. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Hi,

I have recently bought an EM5-II with 12-40mm f2.8 as an upgrade from my EM10 and have what I think is pretty marked shutter shock issues, which occurs EVERY time from 1/80 to 1/160 and probably wider. Using antishock mode (AS) cures this completely, and I've been in two minds as to whether to send the camera back as I believe I have a particularly bad example, or to just use AS mode permanently and forget about it. I decided today to go for the latter and just use the AS mode, but I've since stumbled into further issues.

When I shoot landscapes I use 3 shot exposure bracketing with continuous shooting/drive, and when I do this with the EM5-II the first and third frames are blurred from shutter shot. This happens every time even using AS continuous, and with or without IBIS. I have tried it using normal shutter/AF button (so it focusses between shots) and using the FN1 button as back button AF so the focus is locked and does not change between shots. Just to reiterate I can replicate this every time. I set ISO to 200 to rule out noise, but to be honest the blur is not like that from noise or being out of focus anyway, it's like ghosting.

What's even stranger is that if I use AS continuous in normal shooting (ie without bracketing) then I don't get shutter shock. This kind of suggests to me that bracketing somehow interferes with AS mode?

So the camera can't be used for what I need it to so it has to go back, but what I need to find out is whether I've got a bad example, or whether most/all EM5-II's are the same. If mine's a one off then I'm happy to exchange it, but if not then I'm going to have to get a refund and either stick with my EM10, or consider changing systems (as one of the main reasons for getting the EM5-II was weather sealing).

So what I'd like to know is whether other EM5-II users are experiencing similar problems, and if so how many? The worst effected shutter speeds for me are 1/100 and 1/125. I have the same issue with both the 12-40mm f2.8 and Panasonic 12-32mm pancake.

Here's a couple of examples of the same image taking with and without AS. These are 100% crops, but I saw strangely soft images when viewing normally which is what made me view at 1:1.

Without_zpsvl0ebpvc.
    With_zpshohbsiij.

Without%20anti-shock_zpsxjfavjek.
    With%20Anti-shock%20enabled_zpsh1ploupu.

Oh and case someone asks, yes this happens whether on a tripod or not, with or without IBIS. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'd talk to Olympus about this, sending a few samples, etc.

3. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks. Yeah I have, but they are yet to reply. But this is why I'm trying to find out whether this is a common issue with the EM5-II or not because if it is I'll ask for a refund, if not I'll ask for an exchange. Trouble is I bought this camera specifically for an upcoming trip and I doubt whether I will get a replacement in time :(

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It is my understanding that anti-shock only works like you expect it to when shooting single shots. During continuous shots, only the first picture is using the anti shock, all others fire the shutter a normal.

My gut is telling me that the response from Olympus is going to be "working within normal parameters".

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Surely you can avoid those shutter speeds and use it for what you need?

6. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    I believe you are wrong as the reason that antishock continuous is a slower frame rate is so that the electronic first curtain to be in sync. also your suggestion doesn't fit with what I get. If I'm not bracketing ALL shots taken with antishock continuous are in focus and do not suffer shutter shock. If I bracket the first shot has shutter shock, the second is fine and the third has shutter shock.

7. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Maybe. maybe not, all depends on available light doesn't it. It may mean having to alter ISO and/or aperture. If I'm shooting landscapes ISO and aperture are fixed, the only variable is shutter speed. Also, even if this was not the case why should I put up with a camera where I can't use all the settings, especially a camera that is so expensive?

Also, the range of shutter speed affected is greater than that (as mentioned in the first post). The only reason I put that range is that is the only range I can say with absolute certainty it happens every time, I have not tested the other speeds to the same degree.

8. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I tried replicating this problem with my E-M5 II + 12-40 f/2.8 at 1/60, 1/80 & 1/125, both single shot/single shot AS and CL/CL AS. No sign of any shuttershock whatsoever.
    Are you using a specific focal length? I tried both 16 and 25mm.
    Also what are your IS set to?

9. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Many thanks for this, much appreciated. I have tried it at various focal lengths and with IBIS set to auto, on, and off.

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Hi, I tried to replicate your problem and could not get any blurring. Auto-bracketing, 1/100 sec, continuous shooting, hand held, with IS, 12-40 PRO lens. All 3 bracketed images very sharp -- and equally sharp.

Are you sure you are using L-speed multi-shot with diamond? The diamond is with anti-shock.

11. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks very much. Absolutely one hundred percent using the antishock continuous.

12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Also, I assume you have anti-shock turned on under Shooting Menu 2? Just checking.

13. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    I turn AS on/off using the super control panel. When on I get the AS symbol in the viewfinder so I know it's active.

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You can't do it under the SCP, but, if you are getting the options under drive mode on the SCP then you must have it turned on under Shooting Menu 2. So it must be on.

My conclusion at this point is that your camera is faulty.

Last thought: check your antishock setting and make sure it is set to 0 sec.

Really last thought: when you say first and third shots blurred, I assume you mean second and third? The first one is the 'correct' exposure in the bracket.

Really, really last thought: as a last resort, you could put the camera on silent mode and get the result you want. But I still think your camera and mine are not getting the same result. That's the main thing IMHO.

15. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Really appreciate the help.

Not sure about shooting menu 2, but when I choose AS from the SCP it clearly changes it as you can see from the images above.

AS deffo on 0s. Having any kind of delay is not something I can entertain.

Nope 1st and 3rd shots display shutter shock, and yes I find that very bizarre.

Yes I can put the camera on silent mode, which I have tried. 2 issues with this is that you can get motion artefacts, but the main issue is I can't count off the number of shots (try it yourself on silent continuous you've no way of telling how many shots you've taken as the black out time is negligible). When using my remote shutter the camera does not automatically stop after the bracketed shots and will just keep firing away until you release the shutter button. So while I could do this, and I could just bracket shots using single shot drive I don't expect to have to make such allowances for a high end camera, especially as others do not appear to have the issue.

In a way I'm glad my issue seems to be an isolated one as I really did think long and hard about this latest purchase and nothing else quite fit the bill, but if it's isolated there's hope that I should be able to get a copy without issues. I contemplated the Fuji X-T1, Sony A7-II, Panasonic LX100, Sony RX100 and Sony RX10, but none were quite right for one reason or another for my use.

16. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    I think there is definitely something wrong with your camera. The following two 100% crops were taken hand held with the 12-40 2.8 pro.
    Focal Length: 25mm
    iso: 200
    F/7.1
    Shutter speed: 1/100s
    Flash: FL-LM3
    Focus: 25 (in aged 25 years)

Sorry, they are a bit under exposed since I was shooting inside, without enough light. The flash was not quite strong enough to really fill out the picture with the settings used. I was trying to use settings as close to yours, and if I reduced the aperture DOF started reducing sharpness of the letters.

Without Anti-shock:

20150316_test_shots_0001-3.

With Anti-shock:
    20150316_test_shots_0002-3.

The next two were taken from much closer:
    Focal Length: 25mm
    iso: 200
    F/2.8
    Shutter speed: 1/100s
    Flash: FL-LM3
    Focus: The word of in "Product Of Scotland"

Without Anti-shock:
    20150316_test_shots_0001-5.

With Anti-shock:
    20150316_test_shots_0002-4.

I don't really see much of a difference in any of the photos. If I have time, I will try it with a tripod later as I was clearly not exact in my shooting and cropping..

Oh, and the scotch was glorious!

-w0den

Note: edited to add shutter speed

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    W0den, flash photos are going to freeze the image anyway. Not a good test, I think.

18. w0den

w0den Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    Doh! You are totally right! Well, at least the scotch was amazing...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nor did WOden mention the shutter speed, but as you say, the flash is going to freeze it anyhow.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Got some to share? :wink: