1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help: Video Settings on GH2 and G5

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by simonz, Jul 17, 2013.

1. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    There is an outdoor event that I would like to roam around and take some short clips, of no more than 10 minutes each. This event runs all day and into the night. I have available a GH2 and G5 and have not shot video with either. For lenses, I have the panny 14mm f2.5, Oly 45 f1.8 and panny 14-45. Also have several legacy manual focus prime lenses in the 35-55mm range. I'll probably shoot everything handheld as to avoid carrying around a tripod.

I would like the video to be HD quality but I'm at a loss as to which settings that would give me the best results. The videos would be for personal use or posted on Vimeo and shared.

1. Which camera should I use, the GH2, G5 or both?

2. Which lenses would be best for video 14mm, 45mm, 14-45mm or legacy MF lenses?

3. Finally, which menu settings should I use for video?

Thanks

2. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Gh2, 1080p 24fps i the short answer. The long is..
    [ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQbbiiO2I]Panasonic GH2 Setup Guide - YouTube[/ame]

3. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    I would shoot at 30fps. I find it better for run and go documentary style. Whatever you choose, double your frame rate for shutter speed. 1/60 or 1/50.

I would put the 14mm on one cam and the 45mm on the other. I love love love the 45mm on the GH2 for video.

4. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    How to set frame rates?

Remember, I'm new at video. I don't see any menu items for setting frame rates. How do I do this?

This brings up another question, should I be shooting video in P,A,S,or M mode?

SO much to learn.

simonz

5. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    Set the dial to movie mode (M with little video cam). Hit the menu button. Scroll to the little camera M. In that menu you find your video settings. HBR is 1080 30fps. Cinema is 1080 24fps.

Below that is the menu with just a little cam. Set exposure mode to M. Continuous AF off. On the left dial, set focus to AF-S. Then you can use your touch screen to focus if need be while recording.