Help: using Samyang fisheye with Panasonic G3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by T N Args, Dec 11, 2013.

1. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help me with some guidance.

I bought this lens a few days ago to give to my wife as a Christmas present for using on her Panasonic G3.

I thought I would practice how to use it so I can impress her on 25 Dec with how nicely it works, and what technique she should use to set 'manual aperture, auto shutter' with this lens.

Much to my surprise, the method I thought to use doesn't work! I thought that if I dial the aperture I want on the lens, set the G3 to A mode, dial in the matching aperture on the G3 using the rear wheel, point and shoot, it will automatically set shutter speed for correct exposure. Well, no. It automatically sets shutter speed alright, but for a significant underexposure by 2 or 3 stops. And the rear wheel doesn't set aperture; it seems to adjust exposure compensation.

OK, I admit defeat. It's her camera, and I haven't tried to master it particularly. She is a bit of a non-tech photographer, so she won't be able to figure it out.

I don't want embarrassment and bad photos and no answers on the big day. I would really appreciate any tips from the masters here, especially anyone with G3 experience, or, even better, G3 experience with a manual aperture lens?

edit: [P.S. Rokinon fisheye is the same lens, if you have that one]
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    On the G3, and indeed on all Panasonic cameras, you need to go into the menu and set "Shoot Woithout Lens" to "On". Then, select Aperture Priority or Manual on the mode dial. You won't be telling the camera what aperture you are setting. All you need to do is focus and adjust exposure compensation for the scene. Hope that helps you.

I used a G3 and that fisheye lens to take some sweet photos last fall. Fun stuff. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    As mentioned before: you don't need to set the aperture on the G3.

You need to enable "shoot without lens" in one of the menus, other than that I just switch to A-priority, set the aperture on the lens to 5.6 and the focus 3mm or so away from the infinity mark, than everything farther away than 20cm should be in focus and you can fire away.

The G3 (and several other cameras) tend to underexpose with this lens, maybe it's because the field of view is so big. You can switch the metering mode to counter that, but I just set the exposure correction to + 2/3 and it's fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I am using either A or P mode, but in artificial or in dim light all full manual lenses produces underexposed images on Panasonic bodies.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thank you gentlemen, helpful as always!

Why should that happen? (the underexposure you describe)

Well, it just happens I was using artificial AND dim light! So I will try again in daylight.
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I don't have this problem. I generally get very good exposures with manual lenses.

With a manual lens there is no coupling between the lens and the body's electronics. You have to set the aperture on the lens itself, not the body. Using either the A or the P mode will work equally well with both acting as the A mode. As stated in an earlier post, you need to set the body to "shoot without lens" so that it will function without an electrical connection to a lens.

I is common for fisheye lenses and other extremely wide angle lenses to yield inaccurate exposures more often than longer lenses. This stems from the generally smaller key subjects and the meter's difficulty in avoiding less important portions of the image that should not be considered when judging the exposure. It depends greatly on the subject matter and the framing.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Using exposure bracketing is often a good idea with ultra wide lenses, to compensate for the difficulties dwig discusses.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Another thing that can make shooting with the 7.5 easier, is to st the focus on about 1 meter. In this case every thing from around 50 cm to infinity will be in focus. If you set the aperture to 5.6 then the close distance will be about 30 cm and the far end will be in infinity.

You can calculate it in this tool

This setting make the camera as easy as P&S to operate. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks again guys.

BTW shoot without lens was ON. It was taking photos, but it was underexposing, and I thought it was because I couldn't tell it what aperture was set on the lens. The screen shows f/0.0 at all times.