1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help. Using Adblock? Warning popup for no reason.

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Ian., Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Just today a pink "Using Adblock?" pop-up appears the whole time by mistake. It's on permanently. Even now when posting.
    I don't use adblock. I never have. And I do get the Amazon ads.
    The pop up should not appear. Can you fix it please? Thanks.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sending you a PM.

3. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Had the same thing on my iPhone 4 yesterday.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I am getting the pop-up too. I white listed the site last time this issue came up. I am using Ghostery.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    To everyone affected, I'm really sorry about the inconvenience. The rising use of ad blocking software is slowly choking off my ability to pay for these sites. I've tried to find other ways (affiliates, subscriptions), but nothing other than ads comes close to paying the bills.

@jeffryscott@jeffryscott - Sorry about that. Was a mistake which I have fixed. Shouldn't happen again.

@Ian.@Ian. @oldracer@oldracer @ anyone else who is seeing this notice without blocking ads. Please check to see if you have visible Adsense ads on thread pages. There should be one such ad per page, located between two posts like this:

*removed*

If you don't see any of those Adsense ads (which are different than the Amazon ads shown in the footer), then somehow ads are being blocked on your end, and the message is displaying appropriately. If you do see those ads, then please PM me with a screenshot of an Adsense ad showing on the same page as the message so I can try to help.

4/1/15 Update: the Adsense ad has been removed. I am working on a better solution.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If folk who know what they're doing regarding browsers use something to prevent (per your example picture) big annoying colourful, and sometimes animated, ADs ... there is a reason.
    That reason may also make those folk averse to a floating pink oblong popping up on every page.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

In Firefox/Mac (MacOSX10.9 Mavericks), the pink warning is a stationary entity near the top of each page and doesn't interfere with using the site. On the other hand, in Firefox/Win (Windows 8.1) the pink warning is a floating box in the lower left that make accessing the style control and the page advance controls difficult. When I scroll to the very bottom of the page the page advance controls are accessible but the style control is hidden. Its a bit tricky to get the Style control accessible.

8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    :boohoo: ....to those not contributing and bitching.

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    It's one thing to put up an annoying box or banner and a totally different thing to do so in a manner that hides and/or blocks access to controls.

BTW, my FF/Mac installation is now displaying the floating box that often hides the Style control

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    And, for sure, annoying users with that floating blurb will definitely make them to contribute more and stop bitching.

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK. Good news /bad news I guess. Ghostery was blocking a tracker called "Google Adsense." By turning that block off for mu-43.com, I made the blurbs disappear. But I am still not seeing ads. In the first post of each thread, the word "advertisement" and a block of white space appears within the body of the post.

A few days ago before this new blurb episode, I was not getting the blurb (I whitelisted the site in ABP a month or more ago, during the first blub attack.) and I was seeing ads. HTH.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    UPDATE: now, a few hours later, my FF/Mac is now displaying the same floating box my FF/Win8.1 is showing. It also obscures the Style control.

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Why my post was deleted?
    What's wrong with saying that displaying that floating box won't make users to switch off ads blocking (and display even bigger boxes)?
    If you want us to leave - just say so.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've undeleted all the posts that I deleted earlier. Have been busy at work and didn't want an argument between members going on in the meanwhile. Anyway, I can understand where everyone is coming from.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Unfortunately it's impossible to allow objects such as Google AdSense to appear on one site and not others; it's one in, all in. I'm not deliberately blocking the site, but my Hosts file has a generic list of adware restrictions that it applies across the board. JPGs and animated GIFs with links aren't blocked, but most sites don't like using these because they're not dynamic enough. In 43 Rumors, for example, the Tenba ad and DealsRunner ad (not sure what they are using) shows up, so maybe you have other options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.