1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP! Upgrading Korean GF-1 to English

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DrZero, Jun 1, 2011.

1. DrZero

DrZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    I bought a camera on ebay and the seller did not disclose until after the transaction that the camera was Korean.

The seller did send a link to the English manual and the firmware site.

I have tried to follow the directions: I have a SD card with the 1.4 version of the OS loaded on it and have tried to update it using the instructions in the English manual, which are: fully charge the battery, put it in the camera, turn the camera on and press the "play" button, (which according to the manual is the button next to the AE/AF lock button) and then select upgrade firmware.

When I do that on the Korean camera I *do not* get a screen that looks anything like the upgrade screen shown in the manual.

I get a very short view of something that looks like a hourglass, and then go to what looks like a normal viewfinder screen.

Obviously I can not read Korean, so I really don't know what is going on.

Has anyone else changed a Asian language camera to English by updating the ROM? Is this even possible?

I went to a camera store that had a GF-1 and they tried to help me but they could not get it to work either. I don't think they had ever upgraded the firmware (English -> English) before.

Help!

2. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    find a korean who's willing to help and get on skype with him/her

or go to the korean embassy :)

3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i can read korean, if you want, send me a pic of that message and i can translate for you. cheers, K

4. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Changing korean GF1 to English should be no problem now. You can use the latest ptool to hack the firmware so you can change your GF1 to any language you want, yes including English. You can download the latest ptool and read instructions at Vitaliy's (the ptool creator) website : Here

The ptool is actually for GH1 and not GF1. But there are at least 2 members here myself and JohnMetsn that tries this hack on GF1 and succeeded in changing the menu language. Please see this thread.

Anway, if you need any more info about this, just PM me, I'll be happy to help

5. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

You could surely do the hack. But I thought that Korean version of GF1 contained both English and Korean languages, as opposite to Japanese version with Japanese only... Did you try to find it in the menu?

6. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Hmm you could be right John, maybe it is that simple. In that case, this is the menu for language setting in Korean (with no lens attached) :

bqdB6.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Mine was bought in Korea too. The salesman disappeared with the camera for 1/2 hour or so, and came back with English menus up, leading me to beleive it must be able to be turned on through some service menu (the hackability kind of confirms this) when i did the firmware upgrade, everything went back to japanese or korean, so I did the ptool hack to it to enable all languages and third party batteries

8. DrZero

DrZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Thanks. Can you tell if there is a menu choice for English there? Could you show me what it looks like if it's there??

9. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    When that menu is highlighted (orange color) then press the left or right button in the nav control and you will be presented with language options. English is in the first page at the very top, you cannot miss that.

10. DrZero

DrZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Thanks to everyone who offered to help and offered suggestions.

And especially thank-you totochan24, your suggestion and pointers to the ptool worked perfectly, and I am happy to report my camera is now showing English language for all the menus!

And thanks to Vitalie for building the tool, without which I could not have made it happen.

• Like Like x 1
  11. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Well congratulation on your new english GF1 :smile:
    Glad I can help, I was in the same situation a few weeks ago with a Japanese GF1.

12. Aulrehpotsirhc

Aulrehpotsirhc Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2011
    Can somebody teach me how to change my gf1 from japanese to english

13. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

This is what I wrote elsewhere, if you got any questions, just ask :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aulrehpotsirhc

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks alot man. It is now in english! Thanks man.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

No problem :) You can try some video hacks as well, if you take videos at all. It makes some difference.

16. Aulrehpotsirhc

Jun 16, 2011
    Small problem here. How do i install the latest firmware without interferring and reverting it back to jap?

17. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

What latest firmware? Latest firmware is 1.22.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Ptool "hacks" the version of the firmware you want to install. Download the most current FW, then apply the Ptool to it.

19. Aulrehpotsirhc

Jun 16, 2011
    I got the latest 1.22 and used ptools already and managed to get english. after installing i check my camera version is now 0.0. how do i make it back to 1.22 without reverting back to japanese

20. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

0.0 means it's hacked and it's possible to hack it anytime again. But it's that v1.22 in fact, so no worries.