Help Typhoon Haiyan Survivors & Get Mu-43 Donor Status

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Typhoon Haiyan devastated six central Philippine islands Friday, claiming over 10,000 lives and affecting hundreds of thousands more. We have many members from the Philippines as you can see in this longstanding forum thread. My thoughts and prayers are with all affected by this tragedy.

For the rest of the month of November, any member who donates or has donated $10 or more to help survivors of Haiyan will be given a year of "donor" status in the forums. Donors get more PM inbox space, more Gallery space, greater attachment storage, and removal of all left column banner ads (already removed from forum thread view for all members but also removed from the front page for donors.

If you have donated to help, please email documentation of your donation to me (amin at mu-43 dot com) with a subject line that includes the words "Haiyan relief donation" along with a message telling me your forum username so I can change your status to "donor".

Here are some sites where you can make a donation to help:

World Food Programme:

Red Cross:

Philippine Red Cross:

Salvation Army:

Doctors without Borders (Thanks, Kristi):
    • Like Like x 35
  2. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Definitely do suggest other organizations that you think are worthwhile. The offer for site donor status holds for any contribution related to this disaster.
  4. dean43

dean43 New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    A note for Canadians:
    The Canadian government will match donations for the Philippines made through a registered Canadian charity — with no cap on the total amount. Donations can be made up until Dec. 8.
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Please remember to include your forum username when you email me!
  6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Thank you so much, Amin. This means a lot to us.

CNN has come up with a list, too.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Please donate if you can. We need all the help we can get and everything is appreciated. Food clothing monetary donations.

Im typing this with tears falling since some of my relatives and loved ones havent been found yet. But i am hoping they are alive.

If youre from the Bay Area, project pearls (a non profit charitable organization) will have another relief drive in SJSU tomorrow (Tuesday).

Maraming Salamat Po.
    • Like Like x 6
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

While spending a good deal of time driving today and listening to National Public Radio here in the USA, I heard an interview with a member of CARE who was very informative. Their website is
    • Like Like x 3
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    My wife's family has married into a family from the Philippines. We/they are still waiting for friends of friends to try to make contact. The pictures have been horrific. I just heard on the radio that if that storm hit the US it would have spanned from Florida to Boston. Even though did not hit the USA nor Europe, it such a storm that reminds us that we are all connected.
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    • Like Like x 3
  11. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    Thanks for this Amin. We appreciate this support from you guys! :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Maraming Salamat Amin!!!

This will help a lot of our Kababayan.
  13. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
    Thank you so much, Amin. Your kind gesture is very much appreciated.
  14. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Hi Amin,

Thank you very much for this thread.:smile:
  15. franklim

franklim Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Naga City, PHILIPPINES
    Dios Mabalos saimo.. Amin
  16. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    thanks for doing this Amin. FYI, you can donate now through American Red Cross using your Facebook account. i just did. maraming salamat!
  17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Great idea, I donated to the Red Cross.
  18. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    This storm has hit home.

I would like to share a letter from my cousin Bing from her sister Tricia residing in Iloilo city.

Bingbing Rojas

Dear Family, I would like to share Tricia's letter after the typhoon.......

I have never felt so much sorrow, despair and helplessness like I have as of this writing. I have always believed that typhoons cannot defeat the Filipino spirit and yet mine is becoming quite defeated. I do not know what to do and the best thing that I can think of is pray. We did prepare for the strongest typhoon to have hit the country if not the world. I prayed others did too. And I was overjoyed to have experienced the super typhoon with everything intact – our house, our life. Then the powers got restored and we got to see what happened the last 8 hours of no communication after Yolanda/Haiyan hit Iloilo City. Visayas is devastated is an understatement. No words can express nor describe the reality of the aftermath. I thought the media was exaggerating some facts. In truth what we saw is very far from it. Our brothers and sisters have gone through hell and they are still living in it with the destruction, hunger, sickness and death surrounding them. I am one of the luckiest living in Panay island for I can eat three times a day, sleep on my bed and enjoy my hobbies while my relatives and friends are in dire need of help. No news came for a while. Then yesterday, I was relieved to have heard news from a relative in Sara, Iloilo. It’s in the northern part of Iloilo and this is where most of our relatives reside. The town is 90% ruined. Food is scarce. Gasoline or candles to be used for light are few. People are frantic for help. It took volunteers from Iloilo City almost more 24 hours to reach the northern part. The roads were blocked of fallen trees and electric posts. Communication was down. So imagine my relief when a text message reached me Sunday afternoon. My niece and the whole family are okay but they need food, medicine and candles for now. She informed me that our beloved Lola Leling’s house, to which a lot of family gatherings happened when she was alive, was destroyed. The terrace got ripped by the strong winds, the kitchen blasted to smithereens, the bahay kubo gone. And it was only one house in that town. Pictures revealed a far worse scenario. Thousands of people are hungry. Thousands need help. And among these thousands are of our own blood. We need to help. This is a cry for help for those we hold dear. The little we have is already a huge step to aid them in their journey to get back on their feet. It’s a start. It’s a sign of hope that though everything may not be the same again but with your help, we can give home for our relatives this Christmas. You can send your donation thru Tricia.... Account Details: Tricia S. Aguirre Metrrobank Acct. No.

Thank you so much for your help. God bless us all. Please forward this mail to relatives.

I have removed the account number. I do not want this to be regarded as a solicitation to my cousin. Tricia is a communication arts major, she works for GMA-7 a TV station in the Philippines. Also to the admin people: if this post you find offensive in anyway, I won't mind you deleting it.

Thank you for helping us.

John S.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Thank you all for all the support and prayers.... my heart is broken to see the people who have lost their loved ones and their properties.

Just got back after 6 days of vitually no sleep, scarce food, limited potable water, and dealing with near life and death situations:

Special thank to Amin.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    So glad you're okay, Dave. Amazing photos and words on your website.