Help! Trashed lens firmware update in-depth e-m5 12-50!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ohaya, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Hi,

I tried updating firmware for the lens but it said couldn't connect in the middle of the firmware update. No when I try to use the lens it doesn't show anything. When I look at firmware in menu is it only shows the camera firmware at 2.2.

I haven't tried all my other lenses but at least one of the other lenses I tried work.

Can I get my 12-50mm lens working again?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Well I tried the update from sdcard method that was mentioned here: Olympus 12-40mm firmware update failure and now the lens will not function. Any ideas?

The red light blinked twice but the camera still does not recognize the 12-50mm lens at all.

On that other thread, it mentioned sending the camera to Olympus. This was a used lens, so can I do that? And if so, where do I send it and any idea how much it costs?

Thanks,
    Jim

3. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Darn! I checked on the Oly repair website and repair is $150+ :(!!

• Sad Sad x 2
  4. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    After some thinking, I'm kind of concluded that it'd be best to send it off to Olympus repair and also ask them to make sure they have the latest firmware.

I was originally thinking of find a replacement, but then realized even if I did find a reasonable one, it might still be with the older firmware, so I'd be back where I started.

So unless I can find somewhere that can fix the lens and update the firmware for less, then Olympus seems to be my best bet?

Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What happens if you mount the lens and connect to your computer and run the updater software? Does it recognize the body and the lens? And, do you have another body that you could use to try and see what happens? I personally would not spend $150 to repair a 12-50 unless it was an exceptional copy or you are attached to it for other reasons.

--Ken

6. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    What body were you using?

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thread title says the OP was using an E-M5.

--Ken

8. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    I tried mounting to an E-P5 and to an E-PM2 and the E-P5 menu only shows the camera. The E-PM2 menu only shows the camera. I tried running (but not doing the update) the updater with the E-PM2 connected to USB, and the updater showed only the camera, no lens.

Re. your last comment, I was originally thinking that, but then I thought/realized that if I want (a) a working 12-50 and (b) the 12-50 to be latest firmware, then probably getting Olympus to repair and update the lens firmware would be the most safe way. For example, if I find another copy of a 12-50, who knows what firmware version it would come with? And if so, then I would have to try to flash the new lens, and risk bricking a 2nd lens.

The original one I was using when I did the flash was an OM-D E-M5.

9. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Doh! Thanks - missed that with pagination when viewing it on a phone.

10. comment23

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    @ohaya@ohaya what red light blinked twice?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Personally I’d be reluctant to pay those repair costs because a new copy of the lens would be a similar cost. Or you could put that money towards a better lens.

11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    No worries. Small screens do tend to limit what we can see.

--Ken

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are really set on a 12-50, then sending it it does have possible advantages. They will warrant their work, and they should check over the lens for any other issues, but I would not assume that they will flash it with the latest FW unless you ask. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they use older versions.

Good luck,

--Ken

13. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Hi,

Yes, I specifically asked (not saying that they will read it) for flashing to the latest version in the service order. I will try to email them also (again, not saying that they will read that either).

Thanks,
    Jim

14. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sometimes it takes one servicing, sometimes two, but in the majority of cases they do get it right.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  15. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Hi sorry I missed your question about the red light. The red light is the focus assistance light on the front of the camera I think. When I held the OK button and then powered on the camera that red light blinked twice, but the lens firmware still did not get fixed/updated.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Well, the lens is on the way to Olympus, and also, I had emailed them after I made the service order, repeating my request that they update the firmware to the latest.

The lens still hasn't arrived (should be there tomorrow) but they emailed me back, confirming that they were aware that I wanted the lens flashed to the latest firmware.

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  17. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    Well, shipped via USPS Priority (to Enfield, CT) from VA, on Saturday afternoon - arrived today (Tuesday) despite Monday being a holiday.

Got email from Olympus informing me that they had received the lens...

18. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 1, 2016
    USA
    The website shows that the lens was repaired and shipped.

BUT unfortunately, the comment on the repair says they updated to firmware 1.3, whereas the Olympus website shows the latest firmware for the lens is 1.4.

I called Olympus and the person I spoke to says maybe they just put the wrong info in the comment and to wait until I get the lens back...

19. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    If it is 1.3 then update it yourself and if it dies again then send it back and ask them to try harder.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    Yeah, I have that problem with my small brain.

• Funny Funny x 1