Help to choose my second body e-p3 vs e-pl5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by homerusan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    Hello
    i am thinking to change my second body e-p1. i really love to shoot with it and going to streets with this gives much pleasure than going with em5. but accuracy and speed of the e-p1 is slow for me, especially againts em5.
    i am in the dilemma for going e-p3 or e-pl5 or maybe stay with e-p1 and go for 17 f1.8...
    do i really need speed that much, ehhh i think i have GAS now and its my cover to go for a new toy...
    i really dont care much the iq between e-p3 and e-pl5 due to sensor technology, i do care more the shooting experiance.
    i used e-pl2 for more than a year but using e-p1 gives much pleasure....
    so can you help to decide choosing between e-p3 and e-pl5?
    i mean, does e-pl5 gives you the feeling of e-px series?
    tilting screen is so tempting btw

thanks and sorry for grammer

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Putting aside for a moment the question of whether you would be better off with a lens rather than a body (you should consider that separately), you should be aware that the E-PL5 has the same (extremely good) sensor as the E-M5, whereas the E-P3 has the same (decent, but by modern standards somewhat inferior) sensor as the E-P1 that you already have. I have owned an E-P3, and it handles very well (in some ways, better than the E-M5, especially with the larger optional grip attached - that was, at least, my experience: I have large hands). I have not had such an opportunity to handle the E-PL5; it is a bit smaller than the E-P3 and has one fewer control dial, but can accept the optional larger grip. Aside from the better sensor, it also has the live bulb feature and the smaller focus points (not even the E-M5 has those features, but they appear on the E-P5 and E-M1). If it was me, I should be more inclined to go for an E-PL5 (secondhand) on account of the better sensor, but you might find the better manual controls (additional dial), slightly larger size and/or presence of built-in flash of the E-P3 more important.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have used both the E-P3 and E-PL3 before. I have never used an E-PL5, but the one thing on the E-PL3 that really put me off compared to the E-P3 still applies to the E-PL5. It was the small display. Although it is stated as a 3" LCD display, it is a 16:9 screen, so the effective size for displaying 4:3 image is much smaller. I find it difficult to see whether targets are in focus or not sometimes due to the small screen size. This was the main reason that I never bonded with the E-PL3. I believe the display on the E-PL5, even though they added touchscreen functions to it, is the same size and proportion as the one on the E-PL3. It was the main reason I didn't get the E-PL5 as a second body for myself. On the other hand, I love the ergonomics of the E-P3, especially with the large grip. Therefore, if sensor technology is not an important consideration of yours, I would recommend getting the E-P3. If it were me, though, I'd just save up for the E-P5, which has the new sensor, a tilt screen, AND 5-axis IBIS!

• Like Like x 1
  4. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    thank you guys

@jamespetts, you are right choosing a lens or body is totally different subject.

handling e-px series is totally different from e-plx i guess. i experienced this situation with e-pl2 and e-p1. but e-pl5 looks more e-px like thus effects handling. if i had e-p3 i dont think to go for e-pl5 or maybe e-p5, but i dont know...

@hkpzee thanks for the screen difference. e-p1 has more little screen from both models also. if i had a lot of $$$, i defenitly go for e-p5 which has everything i want, but i dont think it deserves its price.
    btw finding a second hand of e-pl5 is more difficult than finding a unicorn in here ^^

thank you again, i think i consider to go for e-p3.

5. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I'd take the 17mm Zuiko over an upgrade to E-P3 any day. Specially now that the price has dropped.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have both an E-P3 and an E-PL3. I vastly prefer the E-P3 because of the size (I have large hands) and the controls. I love the tilt screen on the E-PL3, that's why I chose it as my second body but most of the time I reach for the E-P3. It has a larger screen than the E-P1, it's a touch screen (which was more useful than i expected) and better in bright sunlight (i still own an E-P1, i kept it because it's a classic). Prices on the E-P3 are excellent right now.

7. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    What about the GX1?

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    No IBIS. That's the reason I don't own any Panasonic bodies but do own several P lenses.

9. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    the 'l' is there for a reason: its 'light'. having said that, the epl5 has the newer tweaked em5 sensor, which is actually a big deal. for atreet photography, which i love, the epl5 has an articulating 'touch, focus, fire' lcd which is absolutely perfect for this class of photography.

10. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

I've never used an E-P3 but have an E-PL5 - and it's one of the nicest micro 4/3 cameras I've ever used. IQ is fabulous, the sensor has great dynamic range, it somehow seems to process photos with (for me at least) blinding speed. It's also quite tiny and, with a pancake lens like the Panny 14mm, almost pocketable.

Also, as others have pointed out, it has the same sensor as the M5 and E-P5 - which is an extraordinary sensor.

I would recommend the E-PL5 to anyone.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy a cheap used e-P2 with one of the good viewfinders VF-2 VF-4 (Same performance as e-P1 but the viewfinder changes the way you can focus and frame, improving accuraccy of both.)
    and later get an e-P5

(I skip the e-P3 since I have an e-pM1 with that sensor and my older camera sensors are better for my use.)

12. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    But apart from the sensor, I find the overall user experience of the E-P3 to be much nicer than that of the E-P2. AF Speed is way faster, as well as improved ability to lock focus in dim light, touchscreen, optional large grip, and just less lag overall than the E-P2... whereas, I felt less noticeable improvements switching from an E-P1 to an E-P2... YMMV, of course...

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I agree with all of that list HKpzee, but because of no EVF my e-P1 is restricted to my 17mm prime and OVF.
    Adding the VF-2 (e-P2) created a camera in a different league. A much better tool which suddely enabled manual focus lenses, which the LCD didn't for my eyes.
    Indoor focus speed is slow but for that I use an e-pL2 with bounce flash. Touchscreen : I switch those off. Grip : I modify and add them myself, admittedly I'm in a minority. Less lag : yes.
    But to me the e-P3 doesn't just add great abilities, it takes away my absolutely necessary ISO100 Jpegs and the precise colours from this old range of cameras. So for me specifically the e-P2 is better.
    Maybe for those not so in love with e-P1 colours the e-P3 would be very logical and quite cheap right now.

14. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY

you made a good point sir. thank you. but for me, shooting experience is, not only looking through VF but also fast response of camera is. i agree to switch to e-p2 from e-p1 doesnt make difference much. but i think e-p3 will.
    the only thing i miss will tilt screen on e-pl5 i think. but i can live without it, especially thinking the 350$ price difference in here

thank you again

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Can you specify what things your e-P1 is doing slowly?

16. pdbphoto

pdbphoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    As other have said the PL5 is a great camera. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a view finder. The optional one means I can't have the flash mounted at the same time. Not so good. The two axis stabilization is not as good as the EM-5, but still better than hand holding and adequate for most of my work. It is a great value and produces fine images. I routinely make 16x20 and larger images from it.