Help Suggest Flash for Panasonic G3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by hunyuan7, Nov 4, 2011.

1. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Please help suggest a flash that can swivel and tilt and can work with a Panasonic G3. Preferably, it could have both auto and manual controls and be on a smallish size.

I tried searching for a matching flash throughout this forum, but it is tough for me to be sure of a match for a Panasonic G3.

Any input would be appreciated.
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    I assume you want TTL rather than just AUTO? Metz do a range of compatible flashguns, and Nissin also do a couple. You also have the option of the Olympus flashguns, although the FL-36 might be a bit slow and the FL-50 a bit large!

I've got a Metz 48 AF-1 and find it a good balance of price/size/power as well as giving me wireless control..... I always wonder why Panasonic never adopted a wireless flash system?
  3. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    I raised a similar question a little while back in the forum so this thread might help.

I have a Panasonic DMW-FL360 (which is the same as the Olympus FL36).

Cons - neither of which bother me but YMMV
    - no wireless
    - slowish (compared to my old Canon 580 EX's)

- light
    - small
    - works well with my G3

The FL36/360 is fine for an easy life hence my choice. For more power and versatility with a little effort, the Metz is the one to go for.
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm new at this flash business so ...

The Metz 44 is the smallest of their models with tilt and swivel and also has TTL for Oly/Panny MFT as well.

FL 50 or 36 are good too and fully compatible.

The Nissin Di446 (GN 33) says TTL for MTF but does not clearly show any ability to swivel (tilit yes). The other models are not so clear on their MTF TTL compatibility.

I prefer off camera so a TTL cable is a good idea otherwise you will need to pony up for a TTL wireless interface.

I started on the cheap but even only a couple of months into it I see now the money would be well spent to get the biggest and most feature rich flash out of the gate. I still can't bring myself to plunk down more cash for a flash than I have for cameras and lenses ...

Also gotta say that working with flash in all manual modes off camera is the fastest way to build competence and confidence in using flash. Once this foundation is built it should be easier to justify the $ for a bigger and feature rich flash (especially once you figure out there is no way to do a particular shot without it).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Donations gladly accepted:wink:
  5. Leowrobin

Leowrobin New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2011
    I have recently bought Metz 50 AF-1 for my G3. I was introduced with both Metz 50 and Nissin di466 but I opted for Metz for its higher GN. I was under the impression that G3 can remote wireless control the external flash as demonstrated to me by the shop using Nissin di466 on G3. But when I tried to do the same for Metz ( it is specifically for Four Third Hotshoe Mount) I cannot seem to get the slave mode to work.

Is Nissin di466 the only model that able work on wireless remote with G3? or is there some settings in the camera that I have missed?

Appreciate someone here can clear my dilemma ...

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Care to describe your observations of the demonstration on how the Nissin di466 working wirelessly on the G3?
  7. Leowrobin

Leowrobin New to Mu-43

Dec 26, 2011
    Hi Sammyboy, well, the guy in the camerashop just needed to detach the Nissin di466 flash and let it sat on its given flash stand and remotely flash out the light from the detached Nissin flashgun when he hit the shutter on my G3. I didnt see any complicated settings performed by him though.
  8. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I would recommend Olympus FL36R or Metz 50 AF-1. Both are full featured flashes, but smaller Olympus is better fit for small m4/3. Also Metz 44 AF-1 could be good alternative, but it has few external controls and e.g. flash compensation must be driven from body.