1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HELP! Strange noises in darker areas at ISO200

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jambaj0e, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    5650932198_7f2ecd980b_b.

So yesterday, I was taking photos with my Olympus E-PL2, METZ AF44 flash bounced off the ceiling, and a couple of continuous lights on both sides of me for extra warmth. I noticed that even at ISO200, I get this strange patchy dark noise patterns (look at the shadows around the pants). I went through my other photos from the day and even the non-flash photos exhibit this. Is this typical? I don't remember getting that with my E-PL1. Is it because I put Gradation on Auto?

• Like Like x 1
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    there is a bit of noise in the dark area at 200iso more then I would have expected. do you have the exif data? All that was strip out when posting. Also what do you mean by Gradation on auto?

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yes, you should use Gradation Normal if you don't like shadow noise...

4. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Here's the EXIF Info:

Exif | Swag! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

What am I looking for in the EXIF to pinpoint the problem?

So is it really the Gradation on Auto that's the culprit? It's even worse when people wear black/mostly black colored clothing

5. What stratokaster said. Olympus should have called the gradation feature "Add shadow noise: on/off".

6. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I wanted to check the noise reduction. You have it on low, and it tends to leave more noise in dark area's. I would leave it at standard.

7. diskdastardly

diskdastardly New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    Let mi dig out this topic a bit. :)

I just bought my e-pl2 4 days ago and I have the same problem as jambaj0e had about the shadow noise at iso 200.
    I tried to change the gradiation and noise filter options to fix it but with not that good resoults.
    Is that normal in this model or mabye the camera has a defect and it has to be repaired?

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Yes. Seems likely. First thing I would try.

Gradation Normal = Gradation OFF

woof!

9. diskdastardly

Nov 4, 2012
    I have it on OFF, it helped a bit but not quite.
    Strange thing is, this black noise appears only on RAW files, not on JPEG.

EDIT:
    Ok I have figured it out! Its Lightroom that does it!
    I opened the same raw picture in Picassa and it was ok, and in Lightroom black noise...

10. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    How much did you bring up the exposure in the raw processor?

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    One of the biggest improvements in going from the old 12MP sensor to the OMD sensor is the ability to present cleaner blacks. On the 12MP sensor, you had to practically clip the blacks to remove the noise.

If you are shooting jpg w/auto gradation, Oly raises the shadows, which causes the noise to show.

I found only one of two solutions: get the exposure in the shadows where I wanted them in the first shot, or clip the blacks. It was my biggest frustration with that sensor. It was far more an issue, IMO, than highlight clipping, though they both can be a struggle.

12. diskdastardly

Nov 4, 2012
    I got my Gradiation on Normal and noise filter on standard.
    JPEGs are good, RAWs processed by Olympus Viewer or even Picasa are very good.
    This noise is only made by Lightroom/Photoshop RAW processor :/
    Too bad because I'm used to Lightroom all my photos...
    The only option atm is to save my RAW files as TIFF in Olympus Viewer and then I can mess with them in Lightroom.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Make the adjustment in lr to correct, then apply that as a profile upon import.

14. diskdastardly

Nov 4, 2012
    I cant adjust LR to fix this noise without making the picture worse... :/