1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Help sought for OM-D digital tele converter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by silver92b, Feb 24, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I found this Digital Tele Converter setting in the OM-D and I'd like to know what it's for, how it's used. etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's basically a built in crop function. Unless you don't want to do any cropping in post-processing, don't bother.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    This works only in JPG or video. It does a 2X crop that you see in the viewfinder and in the final JPG image. If you shoot in RAW too, you get the uncropped image. So if you shoot in RAW only, nothing really happens. By the way, the JPG is upscaled to the full 4608 x 3456 rsolution if you choose it.

For video, I think it works well. It's not clear for stills whether having the camera crop 2X is any better than a post process 2X crop of the RAW, but it is an aid in composition when done in camera.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That's cool. I did not know Olympus cameras had this. Is this like the ETC function on Panasonic?

I remember Luminous landscape made a big deal out of it in the Gh2 review. For video of course.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Just tried it with and without the feature being on. It works just like a telephoto lens... Very interesting I wonder if I could program one of the buttons to turn it off/on...

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    You can.